Welcome to the Austin Seven Friends web site and forum

As announced earlier, this forum with it's respective web address will go offline within the next days!
Please follow the link to our new forum

http://www.austinsevenfriends.co.uk/forum

and make sure, you readjust your link button to the new address!

Welcome Austin seven Friends
This Forum is Locked
Author
Comment
Gearbox filler plug

Hi,

Can anyone advise about unscrewing the gearbox filler plug to check the level and top-up? It's a square plug with very little access around it and I haven't found a tool I can use to actually remove it yet! Would welcome any suggestions. Cheers.

Early RP box

Re: Gearbox filler plug

I usually just use an adjustable. However, if you're having difficulty a twelve sided socket should be able to get a grip on it. The squaring is slightly tapered (wider at the base) so you should be able to tap it on tight enough. A bit brutal, but it's effective. Clean all around the base before you remove it. Oil should be SAE30 filled to the bottom of the filler hole threads.

Location: Gard, France 30960. Used to be Languedoc-Roussillon but now it's Occitanie

That's a bit too much Reckless, see my thread 8 August 2015.

I just select a suitable open ended spanner from the tired ones that sit around, just in case they might be useful some day!

As per the diagram in the Clutch Slip thread, the plug is tapered so more easily coaxed out with the engine/box hot.

I have used a 3/8 whit. socket on a medium extension for years to remove these - not a perfect fit but it works.