Welcome to the Austin Seven Friends web site and forum

As announced earlier, this forum with it's respective web address will go offline within the next days!
Please follow the link to our new forum

http://www.austinsevenfriends.co.uk/forum

and make sure, you readjust your link button to the new address!

Welcome Austin seven Friends
This Forum is Locked
Author
Comment
View Entire Thread
Re: Longer gearbox drain plugs please.

And another Ian - I am almost certain this (steel) one was produced by the Austin Seven Centre many years ago.

photo 3E622A48-69DF-468A-B33D-DE8D5952A68C_zpsc2y2ft3l.jpg

This has appeared on eBay;
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Austin-7-Seven-brass-plug-/252834335731?&_trksid=p2056016.m2518.l4276

That's interesting Brian, looks like a casting rather than a machined one off, also looks a more reasonable length. Anyone have any idea if someone stocks them? Ian M

I am fairly confident that the one in the ebay link is a blanking plug for plumbing or similar.

I thought the proportions looked odd especially the hole in the middle, but put it down to the camera angle.

Ruairidh Dunford
I am fairly confident that the one in the ebay link is a blanking plug for plumbing or similar.

I wouldn't let the plumber near my house with that, the machineing finish looks like the dog got it first.

The steel one you showed R, are they from A 7 services. If so I think I have a box with a 100 in.

Tony.

A7 Services makes sense Tony

I have a couple of the steel ones. They certainly came from Chris Dalby a long, long time ago.

Steve

Interesting point Ian, all the presumably original gearboxes I have stripped that still have the brass plate have a thin paper washer between the plate and the gearbox and a thin(ish) fibre washer between the plate and the plug. Sorry, at work at present so can't illustrate the point :(
Anyhow, these seem to leave sufficient threads in engagement to prevent problems.