Welcome to the Austin Seven Friends web site and forum

As announced earlier, this forum with it's respective web address will go offline within the next days!
Please follow the link to our new forum

http://www.austinsevenfriends.co.uk/forum

and make sure, you readjust your link button to the new address!

Welcome Austin seven Friends
This Forum is Locked
Author
Comment
View Entire Thread
Re: Clutch Slip

Incredibly the 1957 Austin Motor Co book Austin Cars 1936-39 publication 843/C lists 1 1/2 pints. By that time would expect them to have got things sorted... but then they never got front axle ends and kingpins sorted. The Co seemed a bit careless about publications throughout. The pinion shaft in the parts book is especially odd.

My guess is that any weakness would be the 2nd gear on 3rd and that on the mainshft when grinding up endles hills in 2nd. Most other cars the gears are stationary relative to the mainshft when under load; some dispense with bushes.
Is excessive wear sometimes found in these places?

Just to Throw a Little more Oil on the Linings.

I had reason to remove my Type 65 engine not long after a clutch reline and I found something you might find of interest.

On the flywheel clutch linings oil thrown out of the rear main had gone onto the clutch lining through the rivet holes,
I had just taken the engine out at the right time to see this as each rivet had a circle of oil around it on the lining.
I took the linings off and re riveted them using gasket goo to seal the rivet shanks.
They lasted till they went down to the rivets afterwards.
I have always used gasket goo on the rivets since then.

I have never had a problem with oil coming out of the gearbox nose ( Yet )
I have only been ab-using the car for 25 years

Thanks Richard - good tip.

Nick Turley

Dave Mann
Here you are Reckless

???