Welcome to the Austin Seven Friends web site and forum

As announced earlier, this forum with it's respective web address will go offline within the next days!
Please follow the link to our new forum

http://www.austinsevenfriends.co.uk/forum

and make sure, you readjust your link button to the new address!

Welcome Austin seven Friends
This Forum is Locked
Author
Comment
View Entire Thread
Re: Longest single journey in your Seven...

Lovely!

Uhmn, ready R's OP, with details, I have written the trips up somewhere else, so will have to locate them.....
Yes, also the JoGLE, solo in under 24 hours, but that also included an hour's sleep at Exeter, so I can only claim 750 miles as a single journey, though I did stop approx., every 3 hours, 120 miles, for taking on and letting out liquids, etc.,

Jim, it was Ray Walker who had my 'CG 7241' in his barn for many years, 1976 - 1999, I found my old car through a Probate notice on the web, 3 weeks after the auction, it took me 4 years to track it down through 4 further, short term, owners before I bought it back again - it's long tale of it's disappearance in the early 70's.

Why did your Gran make you sleep under a hedge on top of a cesspit Sandy?

The longest and most "exciting" journey in my Austin 7 was from Aberdeen Scotland to Crowborough in Sussex.

It was in the winter of 1980. I was working for an American company and was assigned to Houston Texas so i left Aberdeen to go to my house in Sussex. the beginning of the rip was OK but as I approached Sheffield it began to snow heavily. The temperature had been dropping and so i stopped and put on more cloths and a pair of women's tights. ( a trick I learnt on the oil rigs in the North Sea)
After a while on the M1 I noticed no other cars and the A7 was beginning to have trouble with traction in the snow. I stopped and put ropes on the rear wheels (like chains) and carried on.
South of Sheffield I was stopped by a police Land Rover. They were amazed I was still going. They let me carry on. Apparently the M1 had been shut down but I guess I did not "get the memo". Driving in these conditions was slow going. I remember doing around 30 MPH on the M1

Anyhow I finally arrived in Sussex at about 2 in the morning for a total of 19 hours

Good story Pat

'25 body Chummy on a '27 chassis (lighter body, better brakes, very good combo) - completed 360 miles in 11-12 hours in northern France in August 2014. I drove from near Calais to Pegasus Bridge and back again with a 1980 Citroen 2CV. The car ran like a watch all day, just about keeping up with the 2CV! It was very happy sitting at 50mph most of the time apart from on extended uphill sections when 2nd gear was necessary.

The final 4 hours of the trip were in continuous heavy rain at night. I hadn't packed the side screens so that wasn't an option, but I didn't get at all wet, there wasn't water gushing through the windscreen, I just remember feeling invincible in the dark and the rain, car running perfectly etc. I rigged the lights up to a large 80aH 12v battery because the scuttle mounted 6v mood lighting isn't really sufficient for night driving as I'm sure you all know. On the 12V battery it worked perfectly! I focussed the off side lamp so that my long range lighting was improved and if necessary I could move it to where I wanted, and the other I dispersed - worked really nicely, and I arrived back at my campsite at 0200 to find that a drunk idiot had fallen over my tent and ruined it, filling it with water! I still need a new one if you're reading this, you know who you are... Apart from a soggy sleeping bag, the only thing that went wrong was that I forgot to put my extra gallon of fuel in when it was needed and consequently came to a spluttering halt, but thats on me.

Great drive, great company, great moules and most of all great car. Well done little car.

photo Screen Shot 2015-12-27 at 15.46.02_zpsl0avarjy.png

Sorry to read about the tent flattening!

Slightly outside your specification but here it is :-

In 1967 I accompanied by my girlfriend at the time drove my RP Box Saloon down to Beaulieu Rally on Saturday (303 miles one way) Slept in our tent at the roadside - did the rally and drove back Sunday straight after the rally and was at work 9am Monday morning.
Bloody barmy !
We had 10 p left with an empty tank on our return - talk about cutting it fine.
The only issue was the need to use the headlamps sparingly to keep the battery charged, could be done then.
Would not be too sensible now.
It was a great adventure for us at the time, which is why I still am a big advocate of using the cars now.

In 1966 I went to Beaulieu for the first time, there and back in the day, about 440 miles in my RN saloon. I had to pull into a layby near Lichfield for a cat nap, the eye lids were getting heavy. More recently in 2003 Falmouth to Stockport, 360 miles in 9 hours, but I cheated and used the M5 leaving it just before the M6.

Looking back, I cannot believe that we lived life like we did - Alice was our only form of transport for three years ....

Now I worry if I use the car for the 25 mile round trip to work.

The trials this week has made me less apprehensive and I have resolved to do more miles this coming year.

Back in those years in the 70's I was working in Wellington (Somerset) and Jan finishing her education in Loughborough, so I would drive up the Fosse Way on Friday night and leave at 4am Monday in order to get to work on time.

That went on for nearly a year, and I always made it.

Bonkers!

Simon

Not precisely in keeping with the theme but, as mentioned elsewhere, the NZ VAR mag recently ran an account of a 1925 stunt by an agent with a Seven “Tiger” (?? like chummy) with two (contemporary sized) occupants. Auckland to Wellington return 1,000miles “non stop” in 47 hours, 20 minutes. Via Taranaki, not the most direct route but probably the one with the least empty country, least major climbs, least unmetalled road and fords, and with the bonus of a few miles of seal. Maximum altitude only about 800 ft but numerous repeat climbs involved. 50 mpg, 6 pints of oil (which proclaimed!). The trip was done in May when sunset about 6pm so presumably with a full moon! Then about the only regular through motor traffic for much of the route would be service cars; American tourer cars adapted to provide an occasional passenger and mail service.
Not to be outdone a SI agent conducted a circular tour of the northern half of that island in 1927. Route involved two saddles over 3000 ft, other serious climbs, and several unbridged rivers, either forded or crossed on a horse drawn wagon. 680 miles in 24 hours, 45 mpg.
Could have been grand experiences, depending on the weather! At least they had no traffic lights or hidden speed cameras to contend with. Or oncoming dazzle! Or tourists on the wrong side.
If only travel in old (or any) cars was so interesting today.

Bob Culver

As many of you will know I am a great exponent of long journeys by Austin 7! My journeys are not the longest but generally make up for that with the amount of climbing involved. I believe that when you are hill walking there is a formula that every 1000 feet of ascent equates to four miles of level walking, or whatever, so presumably there will be a similar rule for Austin 7 motoring.
One of my most memorable runs was in 2001 when I decided to drive the RL saloon from Thirsk in North Yorkshire to Chepstow. The first leg of the journey was from
Thirsk to Ludlow. Looking at the atlas this seemed a daunting prospect trying to avoid the major industrial cities. Motorways were out of the question. I photocopied the large scale Philips Navigator atlas onto about a dozen A3 sheets which were held together with a bulldog clip. The Navigator atlas is too big and heavy to use in the Austin, if it is open it falls off the seat onto the floor.
My A3 copies of the atlas were in black and white so I had no idea whether the roads were red, green, brown or yellow. With a red felt tip pen I marked the most direct route across each page and ended up with an almost dead straight red line linking Thirsk and Ludlow.
I set off and had a super journey, avoiding all the major towns and using many roads that were unclassified. I remember that somewhere in the Midlands I was actually driving along a canal tow path to the astonishment of walkers, especially when I had to cross the canal on a narrow bridge only about a foot wider than the Austin! I recall that a short section of the route was a muddy track. Even so, I got to Ludlow mid afternoon which proves that if you can plod along as the crow flies, you can make good progress. The problem with motorways is that they tend to take you the long way round.
Looking forward to some more good trips in the Austins in 2016!

Malcolm - what a great effort, Congrats. And I particularly enjoyed your metaphors - plod along as the crow flies - I'm still trying to visualise it in a Seven! Cheers, Bill in Oz

Have done the Lowestoft to Lands End a couple of times -- in one day -- around twelve to thirteen hours in my special. Remarkable tthat driving an Austin Seven over that sort of distance is not more tiring. Reckon I would fall asleep in a modern.
I suspect some of the Jogglers will have done greater distances.

Charles

I've often wondered if any one has ever done Lowestoft to Ardnamurchan Point.

Now there's a thought. More interesting than jogle too, I'd imagine.
I've done it, or something like in a sailing boat but don't suppose that counts.

It would be hell of an anti-climax arriving at Ardnamurchan point after the journey from Lowestoft in an Austin 7, Amenities are somewhat limited, there might be a telegraph pole to pee against!

I know an ace pub not too far away

It would be an absolute delight compared to arriving at the appalling nightmare that "greets" you at Lands End.
Also there is a perfectly lovely tea room at Ardnamurchsn which I can fully reccomend.

My longest single trip with stops only for coffee and comfort breaks was from the 2016 Scottish Club rally site at Guildtown back to Shropshire, as near as matters, 350 miles in 10 hours. It rained every inch of the way!!!

Ian Mc.

With the 100th coming up are there any special runs planned? Circumnavigate the country perhaps, people can do the whole thing of just join for the section that passes through their area. A couple of us are discussing the possibility of doing something similar in NZ.

I did the run up to the SA7C Doune Rally, twice many years ago.
Firstly in a Nippy. Broke the crank half way up. Towed to Doune. Fresh crank and rods procured by the Scottish lads. Engine rebuilt over the weekend and drove back down on the Monday.
Second time in my fabric saloon. Dynamo packed up near Newcastle on way back but battery able to give sufficient sparks to get home.
650 mile round trip each time but was exhausted...possibly due more to the hospitality and dancing over the w/e than the driving!!

Ian Willaims
With the 100th coming up are there any special runs planned? Circumnavigate the country perhaps, people can do the whole thing of just join for the section that passes through their area. A couple of us are discussing the possibility of doing something similar in NZ.

Ian,

Not wanting to gatecrash your idea but bringing a 7 across the pond would be a lot of fun with those lovely roads you have and I'm sure we could fit 4 cars to a container if they are tourers with double stacking.

Anyway keep the ideas coming we have a little time yet.

Cheers, Mark

I think the late Peter Blackburn did well on the JOGLE in I think 1972, completed single handed in his RN saloon in under 24 hours, it was reported that he had to be lifted out of his car.

The late Pete Blackburn qualifies. I was there when he arrived, having arrived first, 2 hours before. Glimmering headlights appeared in the cold and dark as he drew to a halt, alone in his box saloon. A faint voice cried "Help me out!"

BNG 51 Austin Seven Ruby 1937

I bought the 1937 Austin Seven Ruby BNG 51 from Ray Walker around 1965 for £28 (I think) and sold it a few years later to a German guy for £70? who was thrilled that he would be the only one in his (German?) village to own one! I Googled the registration and found Ray's Perowne St, Cambridge yard photo on your website with my car before I owned it!