Welcome to the Austin Seven Friends web site and forum

As announced earlier, this forum with it's respective web address will go offline within the next days!
Please follow the link to our new forum

http://www.austinsevenfriends.co.uk/forum

and make sure, you readjust your link button to the new address!

Welcome Austin seven Friends
This Forum is Locked
Author
Comment
View Entire Thread
Re: Sandblasting Cabinet: From lemon to near bubbly.

Excellent article and photos Geoff - I've often thought about buying a media blasting cabinet, but clearly the bench top units have some shortcomings as you've discovered. Look forward to any updates.

Jeff.

Location: Almost but not quite, the far North East of England

Even the industrial cabinets have their shortcomings, I have a floor standing Vixen pressure pot unit its over 6 feet tall and big enough to take a wheel it does an excellent job and has a built in powered dust extractor, but it uses arm length rubber gauntlets, these tend to perish very quickly and usually have to be replaced every time I want to use it, and if you keep a few spare pairs in storage they perish as well, I have yet to find any other type of glove long enough to use with it!

Phil Kingdom
Even the industrial cabinets have their shortcomings, I have a floor standing Vixen pressure pot unit its over 6 feet tall and big enough to take a wheel it does an excellent job and has a built in powered dust extractor, but it uses arm length rubber gauntlets, these tend to perish very quickly and usually have to be replaced every time I want to use it, and if you keep a few spare pairs in storage they perish as well, I have yet to find any other type of glove long enough to use with it!

Although not sold as gloves for shot blasting, have you seen these, perhaps more robust than the gloves that you are using?

http://www.seton.co.uk/polyco-long-john-gloves.html#86268011000

http://www.seton.co.uk/polyco-chemprotect-chemical-resistant-work-gloves.html#86265021001

Thank you for the link Austin, the 600 mm red/ black ones look ideal for the job, I will be ordering a pair of them tomorrow and they are only a couple of quid more than the one that I have been using, but should last a lot longer.

Hi Geoff,
I've had the same cabinet, I lended up using tape to seal around the door to help control the dust. I've since update to the larger floor standing model and found by using a vacuum cleaner ( with lots of filtering) connected to it helps to control the dust issues

Phil Kingdom
Thank you for the link Austin, the 600 mm red/ black ones look ideal for the job, I will be ordering a pair of them tomorrow and they are only a couple of quid more than the one that I have been using, but should last a lot longer.

Phil, when you have used them for a while, perhaps you would like to post a review of them on this thread.

A pal of mine made an excellent sand blasting cabinet out of the rear part of a Reliant Robin van!