Welcome to the Austin Seven Friends web site and forum

As announced earlier, this forum with it's respective web address will go offline within the next days!
Please follow the link to our new forum

http://www.austinsevenfriends.co.uk/forum

and make sure, you readjust your link button to the new address!

Welcome Austin seven Friends
This Forum is Locked
Author
Comment
View Entire Thread
Re: Un-seizing a sleeping engine

Mark,
I forgot to mention that we tried a feeler gauge all round the gap between flywheel periphery and bell housing and located the zone where the feeler gauge would not pass.
Dave.

Dave Wortley
Mark,
I would remove the flywheel. Surely the shiny area on the flywheel suggests something is trapped between flywheel and bell housing. A friend and I just had the same problem. We found a 5/16" spring washer trapped between flywheel and bell housing. Do be carefull not to use brute force and crack the bell housing.
Dave.

I'd remove the gearbox and look.
I have an aversion to disturbing flywheels unless necessary (along with rear hubs).
A loose nut or gravel could easily be in there.

I hate to introduce the thought, but the only time I had a similar scenario, the crankshaft was broken (not by me - the only one I've ever broken was another that belonged to Ian Dunford!). Sincerely hope I'm wrong. Cheers, Bill

Bill Sheehan
I hate to introduce the thought, but the only time I had a similar scenario, the crankshaft was broken (not by me - the only one I've ever broken was another that belonged to Ian Dunford!). Sincerely hope I'm wrong. Cheers, Bill

I sincerely hope you are wrong as well. Unfortunately the sun is shining today so it's painting not finding out the answer just yet.

Mark,

You said that the Starter Motor hold down bolts have been removed- but in the photograph the nearside bolt hole appears to still have something in it - and as mentioned the flywheel 'mark' is directly in line with this.

If something had just fallen in I would have thought the mark on the flywheel wouldn't be quite so straight.

No other suggestions.

Cheers, Tony.

Dave Wortley
Mark,
I forgot to mention that we tried a feeler gauge all round the gap between flywheel periphery and bell housing and located the zone where the feeler gauge would not pass.
Dave.

Good idea Dave, I have never removed an A7 flywheel so will do everything else first, but the way it's jammed suggests it will not come out easily.

Tony Press
Mark,

You said that the Starter Motor hold down bolts have been removed- but in the photograph the nearside bolt hole appears to still have something in it - and as mentioned the flywheel 'mark' is directly in line with this.

If something had just fallen in I would have thought the mark on the flywheel wouldn't be quite so straight.

No other suggestions.

Cheers, Tony.

Tony you have saved the day, what you noticed was something I thought was meant to be there. I have circled them in a fetching shade of red, these are a sort of homemade helicoil that were screwed in just a bit too far. So thanks everyone engine now turns nicely but I will have to find a new way of locating the starter or just grind some off the "homemadecoils"and replace them.

Cheers, Mark

Mark,

They look like a hex head so unscrew and fit proper helicoils - with suitable short bolts for the starter !

Cheers, Tony.

Or if the starter fits well onto these - maybe the holes in the starter housing have been opened out to suit - just take the 'Helibolts' out and file the bottom at the angle of the bellhousing to give a clearance - and reuse them? I suspect the threaded holes in the crankcase will be too big to get the right size proper Helicoil in?

Dave

Dave Armstrong
Or if the starter fits well onto these - maybe the holes in the starter housing have been opened out to suit - just take the 'Helibolts' out and file the bottom at the angle of the bellhousing to give a clearance - and reuse them? I suspect the threaded holes in the crankcase will be too big to get the right size proper Helicoil in?

Dave

You were right Dave, I measured up on a spare engine and cut the "Helibolt" down by 3mm and used a strong loctite and it seems good.

Cheers, Mark

I'm glad you were able to work it out Mark - I had a feeling it was something in that area causing the jam