Welcome to the Austin Seven Friends web site and forum

As announced earlier, this forum with it's respective web address will go offline within the next days!
Please follow the link to our new forum

http://www.austinsevenfriends.co.uk/forum

and make sure, you readjust your link button to the new address!

Welcome Austin seven Friends
This Forum is Locked
Author
Comment
View Entire Thread
Re: Safe Revs

It depends really on how well it was put together. 6000 is probably a safe limit, but race engines regularly see 7500 even 8000 occasionally.
But then they do get rebuilt every fourth lamp post.

To all of you gave such sound advice, thank you. Yes, My engine is as I described and I picked up the Crank and rods myself from Slough and watched it put together with enormous care -not by me, I am past that!. I did have an early problem but drilling extra Oil ways in the conrods as per Vince Leaks advice, sorted that. Probably I should disconnect the rev counter and just allow the little old lady to go her own pace, after all, it is supposed to be fun! Harry

Ours is disconnected!

When I first had a Seven I used whatever revs I could get, up to valve bounce in the intermediate gears, mostly driving flat out, and got away with it, all on standard Austin components. Now nearly 50 years later, with a self assembled engine in an Ulsteroid, using a Phoenix crank and Austin Rods, I have used up to 6600 rpm very occasionally, but usually staying below 5500, nothing blew up in more than 20,000 miles. When the rear main started rattling a bit I decided to change it and found a cracked connecting rod: I had lost the head on a small end bolt (new HT when fitted)and the crack developed down the rod. I was lucky to rebuild before it was too late.
To remove the broken bolt I MIG welded a lump onto the broken end without welding the rod, and used small mole grips to unscrew it. Not the easiest thing to do, but it worked!

Harry, are your rods shells or white metal, and are you using an oil filter?

Hi David, You have me there! I don't know? I think they are shells, pretty sure in fact, they are standard from Phoenix so they must be, and yes, I have a separate Filter and exceptional Oil pressure. I remember in those far off days the needle might leave the Pin, but mine is well over 5psi when hot and right over when cold. The only time it goes down is on idle when hot when it is about 2/3. Have taken the advice of those who have experience and have taken my rev counter off! Harry.

Thanks Harry