Welcome to the Austin Seven Friends web site and forum

As announced earlier, this forum with it's respective web address will go offline within the next days!
Please follow the link to our new forum

http://www.austinsevenfriends.co.uk/forum

and make sure, you readjust your link button to the new address!

Welcome Austin seven Friends
This Forum is Locked
Author
Comment
View Entire Thread
Re: Fitting into a Austin Seven

I have found I need to remove the right shoe totally to get my foot to operate the accelerator. Interesting sensations on a hot day.

I'm not big (well not wide anyway), having a profile akin to a racing ferret although I'm nearly 6'2" with size 11 feet and I have to admit I don't really have much problem driving the RP although the winder for the o/s window does get in the way of my right knee from time to time so I tend to drive with the window partly open even in winter so it's out of the way. The handle is a Hobson perfect so it's either in the way when fully up or OK fully down as there are only two positions it can be fitted in. The driver's seat is fitted with a set of Ruby seat runners so I can jack it backwards if I need to, but I don't like driving too stretched out. The only problem is that since I had the front seats recovered the cushions have a bit too much foam in them. OK for normal driving but if I open the windscreen the Lucas (DW3) wiper motor is right in my line of sight and I have to stoop.

Location: Gard, France 30960. Used to be Languedoc-Roussillon but now it's Occitanie

I'm 6'2" and have only recently bought an RP Box saloon. I looked at various other pre-war cars prior to buying an A7, and found the A7 the most comfortable. I was shocked when trying an Austin 12 Harley - could hardly get my legs in and out without pulling my ankles in, and then the steering wheel was practically sitting on my lap!
I agree with Duncan, though, and drive without my right shoe on!

I'm 5'7" and fit in the Nippy perfectly. My wife is 5'0" and can't reach the pedals. I'm currently scratching my head how to alter it. I might have to fit a smaller steering wheel but I do like the big four spoke Bluemels.

I don't recall any difficulty at all getting into or out of the Nippy that I used to have. Hardly ever had the hood up. It also had the big Bluemels steering wheel which was a lucky find at a wrecker. A previous owner had "modernised" the wheel with what he thought was a Nardi lookalike, cut from thick aluminium, and with holes in the spokes - you know the sort of thing.
Ivan

At 6 ft in a Ruby there is also room for a hat - bowler, trilby or boater.
Colin

If you are too tall just wait a bit- as tempus fugits I am now down from 6'1" to under 6'.

I find I now fit into the Saloon a little better (still have to sit across into the passengers seat then swing legs in) but unfortunately the Sports has become a rather more difficult proposition when trying to clamber up over the side!

Still much more fun than the modern though

Cheers, Tony.

At 5'8 1/2" and slight I have no difficulty in fitting into the Chummy, also the Ruby. I did find it a squeeze dragging 2 airline bags out of the Ruby back seat daily whilst on tour in NZ and I can appreciate the advantages of Ruairidh's trailer.
I am therefore apprehensive of the UK tour this summer in the Top Hat with narrow suicide doors. Never have sat in one. Will have to be extra careful of the trim edges when daily loading and unloading those heavy bags. cheers Russell

Russell,
I'm really looking forward to meeting up with you in the summer at Beaulieu.
Yes, you will find Type Rs are not easy to get in or out of. You feel that your legs have suddenly grown!
Once in, however, they are just like any other SWB Seven...but noisier.

Chris

As yet no mention of winklepickers....

Did somebody mention winklepickers?

photo B4B68310-ED0F-445F-A1AD-D30A115B1867_zpshskaxuur.jpg

Elvis lives !

Excellent footwear...I suppose the only problem with these is that they tangle with the wiring under the dash, particularly if you have an 8-Track fitted!

I'm just under 6' tall and can fit into most Austin 7s with one notable exception, Tom Abernethy's fantastic and I think I'm right in saying first recreation of a Brooklands Gordon England. My then brother in law Alec who is the same height as me could and that brings me to Leg to Trunk(Chest + Abdomen) length. I've a friend who is exactly the same height as me but has longer legs who cannot get into let alone drive my M2 Swallow Saloon admittedly that has Chummy style seats. With the correct ones I don't think I would find it possible and I have distant memories of trying a 'correct' one many years ago and regarding it as a 'no-go' model ! I agree with comments about 'narrow shoes' a prerequisite to driving both Swallow and Gordon England Cup models. All LWB standard production cars are fine and from this point alone, were a logical step forward although I still prefer SWB ones !

Dear all,
Have you noticed no contributions from we PORGs (persons of restricted growth)? I fit comfortably in Ulsters, Chummies,Box Saloons,Rubies etc. without any problem, although I declined a drive in my mate's MG PA because I can't see over the steering wheel. Anyone got a cast-off Swallow saloon they have grown out of? I will take it off your hands for a small fee.
Cheers,
Dave.

He's not wrong. First time I met him he was standing at the top of his drive and I stopped for directions to The Strines (it's a pub out in Derbyshire)- and all he said was:
"Follow the yellow brick road..."

Location: Gard, France 30960. Used to be Languedoc-Roussillon but now it's Occitanie

Obviously none of you tall guys have tried getting in or out of a Speedy. That is a challenge. Absolutely impossible to bump start on your own as you have to wrap legs around steering column on entry.
Did save me arguments about performance of brakes in MOT times - my MOT tester couldn't get in and his rolling road was too wide. So he just asked me how are the brakes!

Older NZ VAR mags carry photos of owners and girlfriends/wives in the 40s and 50s. As with my parents photos, most persons (even Americans) were of more moderate size then.

The curvature of Seven bucket seats intrigues; the great majority of us now are of non compatible radius.

With a bit more lateral freedom long trips on wavy roads may be less tiring, but at least do not have to use the wheel for support, which with the ultra quick steering, would be recipe for disaster.
After my Seven, on my bench seat Javelin I used to lower the centre armrest and pack a cushion between the door before attempting the same cornering antics.

Although six feet I covered 350 miles in a day on several occasions in my RP with no particular discomfort. Seat an inch or two back. The panel alongside pedal removed years before.

Clarkson did several “tributes” to various cars of the past. Based on treatment of Ladas etc, fortunately for Sevens generally, and particularly the car he may have acquired, he missed a great opportunity and did not get to a Swallow.

Just in case you might want a pair like mine in the pic above to enable you to drive your A7, those winklepickers were 1962 DENSON 'extra poynters' in antiqued alligator skin with three buckles and Cuban block heels bought from ' Cole's' shoe shop Regent Street Kingswood near Bristol.
This shop was run by two very elderly ladies who would put a bible script in the box with each pair of shoes you bought, it always seemed strange that they would stock such 'way out' shoes in a shop full of elderly clientele who would give a disparaging glance as you walked in with greasey drainpipes and Brylcreemed hair.
The left point soon took on a turned up appearance because it touched the bulkhead when pushing in the clutch! Those shoes would have been a fair chunk of my weekly pay packet. How many of you remember ramming newspaper into the toes with a screwdriver to straighten them up before a night out? Happy days apart from the Brylcreem! Ian

Utterly ace!

Hi Ian

It is a grand period photo on several levels. I hope the Getty picks it up for posterity, so in a thousand years they will have a clear picture of life in ... 1958?

Ingrained habits from youth die hard. It quite recently dawned that it is no longer necessary to remove socks to enable trousers to come off.

I am bemused to see my aware son and his business colleagues in trousers trending back to that style.

I am an advocate for rims picked out with a thin silver band, but was not sufficiently bold for whitewalls. Very sheikh.