Welcome to the Austin Seven Friends web site and forum

As announced earlier, this forum with it's respective web address will go offline within the next days!
Please follow the link to our new forum

http://www.austinsevenfriends.co.uk/forum

and make sure, you readjust your link button to the new address!

Welcome Austin seven Friends
This Forum is Locked
Author
Comment
View Entire Thread
Re: jet lubrication

As discussed in the April issue of 'The Automobile' pages 26-34 there are a number of different Brescia Bugattis including a some built by Crossley in Manchester.

Cheers, Tony.

It's ok Bob, I'll try to get a copy of that book.
The diagram posted a few days ago is much closer to my recollection of a Type 13 engine. I think it's far superior to Austin's in that it collects oil for the whole revolution. That said, I never had a problem with splash fed austins.

The picture I earlier posted was of a late model (1924) Brescia Bugatti crank, for the 10 odd years before that they looked like this:

Look familiar? Sorry for the blurry bit in the middle as picture went across the spine of the book (Bugatti Le Pur-sang des automobiles by Hugh Conway)

Cheers, Mark

I don't like the jet in the groove idea at all as the oil would be flung out of the groove ( which is Concentric not Eccentric) by centrifugal force when the jet came out of the groove.
The groove would seriously weaken the crank in a very critical area in my opinion, in what is not a very substantial crank.
Not one of Bugatti's best ideas.
When the oil has entered the pocket, in the seven arrangement, it is flung into the crank-pin by centrifugal forces and has nowhere else to go. More so in the Phoenix / Barlow cranks which are skew drilled from pocket to crank-pin with no corners.
Cheers Steve Hainsworth

The Bug cranks had full circle webs, that may help to explain what a 2D drawing does not.