Welcome to the Austin Seven Friends web site and forum

As announced earlier, this forum with it's respective web address will go offline within the next days!
Please follow the link to our new forum

http://www.austinsevenfriends.co.uk/forum

and make sure, you readjust your link button to the new address!

Welcome Austin seven Friends
This Forum is Locked
Author
Comment
Austin Seven Tyre Size

Hi I have a 1936 Austin Seven Opal, handbook states 400x17 tyres existing are 400x17 spare 400/425x17 and 450x17

Having trouble finding 400x17 that i like so is it ok to fit 450x17 ????

Re: Austin Seven Tyre Size

You might find the steering a bit heavy if you do (assuming they are on the front..)

That's been my experience anyway..

Have you seen

http://www.longstonetyres.co.uk/page/400-425x17-longstone.html

I have no personal experience of these, but i'm sure others on here will have their own opinion.

Peter

Longstones tyres are excellent.
If your Opal has a painted "Ruby " style rad cowl then 400.17s are the prefered and correct size.
However they also made some Opals in 1936 with the earlier chrome radiator cowl on the old high frame chassis and these cars should have 350×19 wheels and tyres.

The Longstones are excellent. Have been using them for last eighteen months and have even raced on them.
David

These 400x17s can be obtaind from Howard Annett at 07860 370307 or 01403 790530 with inertubes and rimtapes

I had my last Ruby for 38 years and always used 4.50-17, but finally I bought two 4.00-17 for the front. It was transformed: the steering was comfortably light compared with using the larger section tyres. If you use 4.50 on the back you raise the effective gearing slightly, which is fine, but 4.00 on the front are definitely better.