Welcome to the Austin Seven Friends web site and forum

As announced earlier, this forum with it's respective web address will go offline within the next days!
Please follow the link to our new forum

http://www.austinsevenfriends.co.uk/forum

and make sure, you readjust your link button to the new address!

Welcome Austin seven Friends
This Forum is Locked
Author
Comment
Public Liability Insurance

I've just been reading about Public Liability Insurance on the Historic Military Vehicle Forum and thought that it might be relevant to owners on this forum:-

http://hmvf.co.uk/forumvb/showthread.php?56502-Public-Liability-Insurance

Re: Public Liability Insurance

In case there is any concern, the Clubs' Association has a Public Liability Insurance policy that was renewed in February of this year. All main Austin 7 Clubs are included in that policy. The whole policy went through a period of 'due diligence' prior to the renewal and the clarity of the policy and cover has been improved as a result.

At the Association 'Business' on Sunday, Kim Eaton of our Brokers, Routen Chaplin, gave a presentation to the meeting and took questions from the floor. The 'sound bite' that we all took away was, if your engine is running, then you are covered by your own Motor Insurance policy. If the engine is off and you are at an event, then you are covered by the Association PLI. If you have any concerns as to how it affects you and your Club, please talk to your Club Secretary/Association Rep. I am drafting the Minutes of that meeting at the moment and will include the text of Kim's address as an Appendix to those minutes. Again, those should be available from your Club Secretary..

I hope that helps...

Austin Carr
I've just been reading about Public Liability Insurance on the Historic Military Vehicle Forum and thought that it might be relevant to owners on this forum:-

For me this banter on the Military Vehicles Forum brings up more questions than it answers. I had always assumed my motor insurance with ERS provided me with all the public liability cover I needed. Is this not the case?

I sometimes attend various events, steam rallies, church fetes, vintage days etc.

andrew34ruby
Austin Carr

For me this banter on the Military Vehicles Forum brings up more questions than it answers. I had always assumed my motor insurance with ERS provided me with all the public liability cover I needed. Is this not the case?

I sometimes attend various events, steam rallies, church fetes, vintage days etc.

I rarely attend shows with mine. But often leave it in car parks. I also often have modern cars on showfields but not an exhibit. Cant see the diference myself. Are all motor policies deficient?

As far as I am aware, the event organizer will / should have Public Liability insurance, in the case of our local astronomy group our PLI comes from our membership of the Federation of Astronomical Societies, this covers us for injury or loss to the public only and does not cover any of the groups or individuals members property.

I would assume the same applies to motor clubs, if you car is damaged whilst taking part in an event its at you own risk and if you motor insurance does not have a clause stating you are covered for such events, it's hard luck, your best bet would be to claim it was damaged in the public car park, you may then be able to claim against the organizers of course they will tell you to claim from your own insurance company, but you may not be covered by them because you were parked on private property.

It is always worth checking you policy carefully every year at renewal time as quite often clauses are changed or excluded, the standard social, domestic and pleasure clause will not cover you for the drive to work for example.unless it states to and from a place of work.

Hi everyone,
Scrolling down the lists of wonderful subjects to read and learn from I remembered some happenings at events going back to the early 1970's. On arrival at a pre booked event it became the practice for the gate staff to ask to see the origial copy of my vehicle insurance, using the pretext ,no original no entry. Being young and simple (still am) I supplied requested paper work.
Growing up a little I began to ask questions such as 'I have my insurance certificate, where is your public liability cert. please?'. The answers stopped me from going to various 'historic vehicle' events for ages starting from 'we don't need insurance', to 'your insurance policy covers us' ie. whatever happens it's your fault sort of thing. In these enlightened times (have I been going to rallies for over 40 years?) I still get the creeps when the entry form askes for 'proof of my car insurance at entrance'.
Do you remember similar goings on?
Keep on supplying this endless list of interesting reading, stuck indoors unable to do anything to my Sevens is giving me cabin feaver.
Peter, about to be swamped by tourists, bless 'em, Cornwall