Welcome to the Austin Seven Friends web site and forum

As announced earlier, this forum with it's respective web address will go offline within the next days!
Please follow the link to our new forum

http://www.austinsevenfriends.co.uk/forum

and make sure, you readjust your link button to the new address!

Welcome Austin seven Friends
This Forum is Locked
Author
Comment
View Entire Thread
Re: believed to be

Good point! I definitely looked at the auction yesterday, but today the listing number isn't being recognised at all. Even when a listing gets pulled there is usually some indication that it once existed. Most odd.

Duncan, the eBay clock was a Gent of Leicester electric slave dial in a cast iron case. To give you some idea, please follow the link below. The Austin logo looked like a stencil that had been added to the dial.

http://www.imgrum.org/media/1446205358842818988_2260005196

It looks like someone paid the £1,200 it shows up as a completed listing with the price in green which usually means it sold.

Sold?

HAHAHA! The problem we have here, is that we don't have much Euro-American history to remember. As a journalist and a history buff, I am always frustrated at the amount of ignorance in many Americans. Perhaps its not the same in the UK. Here in the Seattle area, historic buildings are being razed every day. Many young people have no appreciation for the past. If an event happened before they were born, it has no significance. The myth still persists that Columbus discovered America, and that Lewis and Clark were the first to cross the continent. And when selling items on ebay, many just don't bother to do the research, which is so easy these days. By the way, next month I'll be selling a plaster cast of George Vancouver's first foot step on the Seattle shore. ;-)

Lot of money for a clock without it's original mechanism......

Steve V.

hi erich,

i find most americans can be the best people in the world, and have made plenty of friends on stalls at hershey. even a group of 70 year old canadians.

but as a nation, its well fvcked up.

i find its big history problem is not that there wasnt any. but as you suggest they are very quick to demolish these places.

they also seem to think if they build it again, in the same, well around the same place. " were it was thought to be" then its historic.

we got up to boston, and went round frank reveres house. well what was though to be franks place. asking questions inside, the furnature is the same as what was thought to be there.

and there is a display in the court yard, with a plaque that reads these are some of the items that were thought to be made in franks foundry.

the only thing worth seeing in boston, is "CHEERS" even though the bar isnt the one used in the program. but is thought to be the bar that gave inspiration to the program cheers.

wonderful.

Hi Tony,

You are quite right about demolishing and rebuilding. I'm a member of an organization that works to document and preserve elements of the Modernist period. I've been in many homes that have been remuddled, horribly and with no thought to preserving the original fabric. I've done consulting for people who wish to remuddle. I can point to things and say, that was changed in the 1970s, that dates from 1980, that dates to mid '90s, etc. I grew up in a suburb of Seattle called Bellevue. Despite a boom in the 1950s and 1960s, it still had an old town dating back to its founding in the late 1800's. Now, there is a sign proclaiming "Old Main Street". There is one building that dates to the original old town, and that has been remuddled so much it has almost no original fabric. Perhaps they are referring to the original bricks in the street that are now under several layers of asphalt.

I know this is off topic from Sevens, so I'll add a bit about why I try to be as period correct as possible. I could put alloy wheels, modern tires, and electronic ignition, a different chassis and frame on the Ulster Rep. It might run better, handle better, but it wouldn't really be an example of what a correct car would have been prewar.

Do you mean "Paul Revere" unless he had a brother named Frank I'm not aware of. ;-)

Wow. Searched Austin clock in completed listing... that's a lot of folding for something with little provenance.

http://m.ebay.co.uk/itm/Vintage-Rare-Austin-Seven-Cast-Iron-Factory-Large-Clock-Petrol-Oil-Antique-Car-/162466013759

Still... he'll need a quid or two for the tyres on the Ruby based special.

Erich Volkstorf
Hi Tony,

Do you mean "Paul Revere" unless he had a brother named Frank I'm not aware of. ;-)

could have been paul

it was dull and void of interesting stuff, so him name didnt really matter.

im fine with going off track, my interest are not just 7s. i love old and machanical

tony

Nick
Wow. Searched Austin clock in completed listing... that's a lot of folding for something with little provenance.

http://m.ebay.co.uk/itm/Vintage-Rare-Austin-Seven-Cast-Iron-Factory-Large-Clock-Petrol-Oil-Antique-Car-/162466013759

Still... he'll need a quid or two for the tyres on the Ruby based special.

nick,

the tyres are on the sack barrow holding the clock