Return to Website

Welcome to the Austin Seven Friends web site and forum

Please read "Change forum" post!

As announced, board is switched to "view only" - mode until closure for backup.

Link to the new forum: http://www.austinsevenfriends.co.uk/forum

Forum: Welcome Austin seven Friends
This forum is locked and posting is not allowed
Author
Comment
Scuttle Petrol Tanks

I have an Short Scuttle RL Saloon with it's original scuttle petrol tank, with Ennots petrol tap in the conventional position, bottom corner, frontface, passenger side.
I am putting the finishing touches to a Long Scuttle RM Saloon, which has the Ennots tap in the same position. However, this tank has a fuel gauge tank unit fitted on the top face, driver's side. I assumed this tank was a replacement, taken from an early RP Van. These vans used the later dash arrangement using a petrol gauge. The said petrol tank was Austins way of using up surplus stocks of scuttle petrol tanks and updraught carbuettors.
I have recently aquired a scuttle tank with the same dimensions as the RM tank, also incorporating a hole to accept a fuel gauge unit. However, the petrol outlet is in the exact centre of the bottom surface, not on the front face nearside corner. The outlet is a simple brass female connector to accept conventional male pipe nut. The tank is too well made to be a DIY job.
Anyone out there know what it origimnally came from?

Email  
Re: Scuttle Petrol Tanks

I have a 1937/8 chrome rad two seater,with a three bearing engine, semi girling brakes, 17" wheels and Ruby steering wheel etc. in the workshop just now.

It has a scuttle tank like you describe - the owner is of the opinion it was a military/RAF car.

It has a silent block mounting for the back axle that is most unusual.

Email  

I have not come across a petrol tank with centre outlet as you describe,but the RM-type tank with sender unit was standard fit on vans up until the AVJ series of late 1936/early 1937; these retained the high chassis frame, chrome radiator and scuttle tank, but were otherwise to full 1937 mechanical specification with petrol pump and side-draft carburettor.

Email  

My AVJ van - first registered 30 April 1937 - has an RM-type tank with sender, but is gravity feed. The fuel pump hole on the crankcase is blanked off with what looks like a factory-supplied plate. However, in the 80 years since its birth there may have been some modifications, so I cannot swear to its originality. A glass bowl type fuel filter has been installed at some time, which was certainly not there in 1937.

Rick

Thank you Ruairidh, Mike and Rick for your replies. I was thinking Military, but wondered at the fuel tap arrangement. If the car you have, Ruarirdh, has a petrol pump, there is no need for a tap
Mike and Rick, I did not realise the RM style tank was fitted for so long. Rick,I assume your van has the standard petrol tap arrangement. John

Email  

When I bought it five years ago it had a simple lever operated on/off tap (no reserve) which protruded into the van in front of the passenger. This developed a leak and was irreparable. I had never seen this particular type of tap before, which was probably non-standard - like so much of these vans - so I replaced it with a push-pull tap which is now accessed from under the bonnet.

Rick