Welcome to the Austin Seven Friends web site and forum

As announced earlier, this forum with it's respective web address will go offline within the next days!
Please follow the link to our new forum

http://www.austinsevenfriends.co.uk/forum

and make sure, you readjust your link button to the new address!

Welcome Austin seven Friends
This Forum is Locked
Author
Comment
View Entire Thread
Re: Hydraulic dampers on TT works cars?

Here are the drawings from Greig (or should that be Austin??):

photo 100mphEngineLayout_zpssatn8z6y.jpg

photo 100mphRearAxle_zps6nmcqqkq.jpg

My goodness, this is becoming hard work. Eric I'll possibly forgive you if you haven't got a Source Book and haven't seen seen p271 otherwise I give up ! The photo that I took quite a lot of trouble over is of the rear shock absorbers !!! So they are fitted to the front and back axles.

My goodness, this is becoming hard work. Eric I'll possibly forgive you if you haven't got a Source Book and haven't seen seen p271 otherwise I give up ! The photo that I took quite a lot of trouble over is of the o/s rear shock absorber !!! So they are fitted to the front and back axles.

Apologies Erich, I missed out the h in your name in my earlier odd double post...don't know how that happened i.e. the double post !!

Sorry, all. I don't have a Source book so I'm going to have to get a copy.

That might be quite expensive, if you can find one . I think there is a reprint in the making.

Yup, from my site. Specifically from this article about the 100 mph "Yellow Canary" streamlined Duck.

And of course the 'Duck' type cars were quite different to the works TT cars or so called 'Ulsters' which as can be seen in the pictures had the damper bodies fitted to the front and rear axles.

Cheers, Tony.

Ruairidh Dunford
Here are the drawings from Greig (or should that be Austin??):

photo 100mphEngineLayout_zpssatn8z6y.jpg

photo 100mphRearAxle_zps6nmcqqkq.jpg

Nice drawings but NOT the TT type chassis.
This is the 1931 single seater. Yellow Canary, Rubber Duck or Dutch Clog chassis.

The pictures were two I found while searching for pictures of offset single seaters while building our new one.

Glad to give credit to Austin for his pictures and his site and apologies to Ruairidh for spelling his name incorrectly.

Regards from the Colonies
Greig

The arrangement on the NZ Duck restored by Grant Cowie differed from this drawing. Instead of the damper being connected directly to the rear axle, this car had slave arm more or less parallel with the spring pivoted off the chassis with a link up to the damper mounted on the bracket shown in the drawing posted here. Don't think either arrangement helps with understanding the ulster mounting though.

The works drawing is curious. The radius rods would seem to give negligible braking bracing but with short levers and the high friction turn in cable perhaps like old time Indianapolis cars braking was not intended.

It is hard to devise a workmanlike fitting for hydraulic sas at rear which utilise normal length arms, and Austin did not solve.

The handling of lowered models is obviously very different from stock cars, and the sas more effective with light body, but nevertheless I marvel that anyone could average 83 mph around reputedly bumpy Brooklands without the aid of hydraulic sas

Austins were skinflint not fitting to the Big 7. Even Ford Y had.

It's not a works drawing, it came from the article in Autocar magazine, (link to it in my previous post.)

They would use illustrations in lots of articles, and I guess they are more "interpretations" rather than measured accurate drawings.

The Luvax damper on the rear is mounted to a two piece casting on the axle. I now have these castings. It occurs to me there very well not be a good photo of the linkage. Maybe a case for making what looks right and more importantly works!
Simon Thomas