Welcome to the Austin Seven Friends web site and forum

As announced earlier, this forum with it's respective web address will go offline within the next days!
Please follow the link to our new forum

http://www.austinsevenfriends.co.uk/forum

and make sure, you readjust your link button to the new address!

Welcome Austin seven Friends
This Forum is Locked
Author
Comment
View Entire Thread
Re: Special seats

Hello Steve,

I have a special based on a Rod Yates body with an aluminium bulkhead behind the seat area.
Do you have any photos of the wood frame before you did the upholstery?
I do have chris Gould's book but pictures do help.

You can email the pics if it is easier.

Thanks
Paul.

Re: Painting the special

Robbie

In my experience you can save a small fortune if you prepare the carbody yourself and prime it.

I think £1200-1500 should be what you will pay for a decent sprayed finish.

Cheers,

Matt

Re: Painting the special

Matt Harnden
Robbie

In my experience you can save a small fortune if you prepare the carbody yourself and prime it.

I think £1200-1500 should be what you will pay for a decent sprayed finish.

Cheers,

Matt

Hi Matt, I should of reported back that I got the paint job done for a great price. @£200 for the paint and £1k for the job. Great job!! Washington coachworks just south of Horsham..

Paul,

I am building a similar car with Rod Yates' body and stiffening bulkhead. i have taken some pictures of my interpretation of Chris's guide and will post them once I've negotiated Photobucket.

Alan

Sorry Paul but I've failed to transfer images from Photobucket.

I'll try and email you off group.

Alan

Paint

I have just about finished painting my special, all I can say I, prep work and more prep work and when you think you have finished go over it again. It was so much work to get it how I wanted it.

https://www.facebook.com/LotusSportster7/photos/pcb.1289355387848634/1289355224515317/?type=3&theater

Re: Paint

As the Grassything replica approaches a state where paint is going to be required I have been experimenting (slightly more than anticipated as it turns out!)

Based on a proper BS colour chart I bought 5L of cellulose and 5L of anti bloom thinners on line for £70. On opening the can it was an alarming shade of "cheap Plastic" green, not what we expected at all. So I tinted some with black, as that's what we had to hand, result a better colour, but rather more suited to a military car than a sports car! More experiments in tinting will be needed using blue.

The main thing I wanted to try was a gloss roller, having seen a professional interior decorator produce a perfect finish on a house door using one. I did the underside of the floor. Trying the paint with varying amounts of thinners. The best result was gained using almost straight paint, about 10% thinners, a nice flat gloss finish was easily achieved! the main trick was to put the paint on in one stroke, a fairly thick and leave it alone. This might prove difficult on a large panel. the nest experiment, is to try "wet on wet" where you let the first coat go touch dry, then apply a second coat with a little more thinners in to pull it down flat.

Ill let you know how it goes. I may well end up getting the spray gun out to do the bits that show!

A colleague I used to work with in 1982 was a Wartburg fan. He bought them very cheaply and then painted them using Dulux and a paint roller. The finish was surprisingly good so I painted my 2CV wings the same way as was very surprised how well it worked. Very quick and easy. Not concours but better than the rest of the 2CV.

I tend to use 2k acrylic. It's tough as nails. If you are not a pro with a spray gun it can be rubbed back and buffed up

John L.
I tend to use 2k acrylic. It's tough as nails. If you are not a pro with a spray gun it can be rubbed back and buffed up

Presume that's two pack paint requiring breathing apparatus?

Steve V.

I sprayed my car outside on a calm sunny day.