Welcome to the Austin Seven Friends web site and forum

As announced earlier, this forum with it's respective web address will go offline within the next days!
Please follow the link to our new forum

http://www.austinsevenfriends.co.uk/forum

and make sure, you readjust your link button to the new address!

Welcome Austin seven Friends
This Forum is Locked
Author
Comment
View Entire Thread
Re: Ruby Universal Joint

Cherished suppliers ?

Seven Workshop have them for £11.75 each,I have just fitted them.The hardest part was removing the old ones.Copious releasing oil,heat,broken circlip pliers ,big hammer and bad words all failed.Friendly garage proprietor eventually got them out with hydraulic press. Circlips come in the package.

It's the same joint used in many post war cars, including A35, Morris 1000, Sprites, Midgets etc. You can get the joints from A7 suppliers or from suppliers of spares for any of these classic cars. Some are available with a grease nipple in the centre spider, if greased regularly, they should last much longer, indefinitely with low annual mileage.

From my apprentice days, I seem to remember that Triumph Herald ones did the job. Still got one somewhere.

Thank you all for the helpful replies both on here and direct- the advice has been passed to the club member and I will let you know the result.

Cheers, Tony.

I have recently rebuilt the Ruby type prop shaft off the Ulsteroid with new spiders incorporating a grease nipple. I had to chamfer the ends of each leg by about 1/8" to get them to fit into the yokes. Once together they are fine and have removed the vibration at anything over 45mph that was there before.

Morris Cooper S unis fit as well

The Hardy-Spicer spider is very common and widely used. I had a Volvo 144 with a loose joint years ago, and went to the garage round the corner: "nothing for Volvos" he said, but when I showed him what I needed he found one labelled Triumph Herald which was identical (and cheap); Volvo packaging would have cost me an extra arm and leg!

Robert Leigh

Remember that when fitting the new circlips that they could be fitted the wrong way around. In production, when they're stamped out, some are left with one face with a slight radius which should be fitted towards the cup, if fitted away it may come out.This also makes it easier to grip when removing. Remember the final thing after assembly is to give all four yoke ends a sharp smack with a mallet to fully seat the cups.