Welcome to the Austin Seven Friends web site and forum

As announced earlier, this forum with it's respective web address will go offline within the next days!
Please follow the link to our new forum

http://www.austinsevenfriends.co.uk/forum

and make sure, you readjust your link button to the new address!

Welcome Austin seven Friends
This Forum is Locked
Author
Comment
RP Brake pedal removal

I have removed the nut from the shaft attached to the chassis. Should the pedal lever hinge down into the engine bay through the slot in the floor after removal of the foot pad so that the lever can be pulled off horizontally?

Re: RP Brake pedal removal

There's not a lot of room down there! The pedal shaft fulcrum pin passes through the steering box and is located to the chassis rail using an angled spacer washer. The brake pedal is located on the fulcrum pin by the outer locknut. There is a spacer in the middle of the fulcrum with two flats on it to allow you to tighten at either end.If my memory serves me correctly you will have to disconnect the brake lever actuating rod and its clevis pin from the base of the pedal and undo the outer nut on the fulcrum pin to allow the pedal to slide off. This picture of the fulcrum pin might help to explain:

see:https://www.theaustinsevenworkshop.com/products/br0256m-brake-pedal-fulchrum-pin-late

After unscrewing the pedal pad and disconnecting the brake pedal pull rod the pedal should fall down through it's slot in the floor. However it may be stopped by the throttle cross shaft so that may have to be removed. With it hanging down the steering arm prevents it's removal from it's pivot so you have to disconnect the drag link from the steering arm and turn the steering wheel to bring the steering arm pointing up then the pedal can be slid off John.

Thank you both for your replies. I assumed the pedal should go down through the slot. Mine doesn't so I'll go and investigate.

I think I had to undo the throttle cross shaft and file the hole in the floor a little before the pedal dropped through.

Simon