Welcome to the Austin Seven Friends web site and forum

As announced earlier, this forum with it's respective web address will go offline within the next days!
Please follow the link to our new forum

http://www.austinsevenfriends.co.uk/forum

and make sure, you readjust your link button to the new address!

Welcome Austin seven Friends
This Forum is Locked
Author
Comment
View Entire Thread
Re: Thinking of a 7 for my next project, any advice?

Whatever you do, don't break a perfectly good one, many people on here will never forgive you!
It might be worth putting a wanted ad on here but I think you need a few posts to do that, this should help though.
Best of luck with it any way, you will find this forum very useful.
Brian

Unless you have done so already make sure you have driven or at least been driven some miles in an A7 before you take the plunge. You need to decide if the experience is what you would be happy with...and that you fit.

Suggest you have a word with Geoff Halstead first and then review his posts under 'Ruby Rejuvination'.

buy one that is complete, tatty and running well so you can gradually renovate bits in your own time. Unless you like being inside garages rather than driving...

It is a big jump from a bike to a Ruby. If the body needs serious work there are bits within bits and lots of shapes to play with, all of which will be rusty, if there at all.

Earlier cars are simpler to work on, but more expensive.

Having bought a car in a drivable condition, that I can work on for a day or two, and then use it for a bit before doing the next job, I am really pleased I spent the extra money, and that I sold all my rusty bits that would have taken forever to become drivable.

Maybe a special as a first foray into the world of Sevens?

Simon

Get one that is complete and running, even in poor condition. don't buy a load of bits or a kit or you'll spend the next frustrating 5 years trying to put it together. Don't pay more than £5k for a Ruby or £8k for a post-1930 car.

I'd be keen to see a V5 too... and following on from recent discussions it's worth checking the year of registration matches the model type!

Thanks for the help.
As I say I'm just sounding out options at the moment, I'm not set on any particular variant yet. As suggested I would be looking for a mostly complete example.

Are the chassis, engine and gearboxes the between variants?
Are the panels forward of the firewall the same between variants?
Where can I get parts lists, exploded diagrams etc?

This one might be worth considering:

Lots of work, but it looks to be complete:

http://www.carandclassic.co.uk/car/C863250

I think I had seen that, car and classic seems to be a good site, the prices seem ok, to me anyway.
Financially I'm some way off buying at the moment, just need to get the BSA finished, and the work on the house, and the new dishwasher etc... but some day!

There was a complete ruby for sale in Cork on donedeal a few months back. Worth a search. I'm an hour away from you so anything I can do to help let me know. John