Welcome to the Austin Seven Friends web site and forum

As announced earlier, this forum with it's respective web address will go offline within the next days!
Please follow the link to our new forum

http://www.austinsevenfriends.co.uk/forum

and make sure, you readjust your link button to the new address!

Welcome Austin seven Friends
This Forum is Locked
Author
Comment
Hillclimb preparation

Can you confirm that this covers everything for a VSCC hill climb:

• Washers and nylocks for wheel nuts
• Extra throttle return spring
• Yellow tape on earth wire
• 1 litre oil catch tank (anything for the radiator?)
• Wired sump and gearbox plugs (and back axle?)
• Ign-off label and battery master switch
• MSA spill kit
• Timing strut
• Seat base stuck down
• 1.75l fire extinguisher – mine says check in July 2017 so should be ok for a couple of months

Am I missing anything?
What do people do about race numbers – stick on or some poster paint?

Re: Hillclimb preparation

You'll also need a 1 litre water catch tank, Tom.

Steve

I just wondered with 15" Dunlop racing tyres being unavailable if anyone had any more information on the use of Firestone tyres. In the last April VSCC newsletter it mentioned that Firestone 145 R 15 could be used as a temporary alternative. Long story short I've got 145's on the rear but have got 125's on the front, will this be acceptable until the Dunlops come back on stream? Any help greatly appreciated. Mike

Thanks for all the emails sent. It seems that the word on the street is that I can run 125's on the front and 145's (which are apparently the max size allowed) on the rear. So now really looking forward to Wiscombe having never been there before. Mike

Hi Tom, you can buy the stick on numbers at most events (certainly VSCC events) but some buy a set from demon tweaks (or similar). Remember to put a layer of car wax on before applying the stickers to avoid pulling the paint off when you remove them.

Are you at Wiscombe? Which car?

Damian GT
Hi Tom, you can buy the stick on numbers at most events (certainly VSCC events) but some buy a set from demon tweaks (or similar). Remember to put a layer of car wax on before applying the stickers to avoid pulling the paint off when you remove them.

Are you at Wiscombe? Which car?

Hi Damian, yes I think my entry has been accepted, should be there in the Cup if I can get the carberettor jetted properly.

Is the radiator catch tank a big issue? How do people arrange this on an A7, there's not much space under the bonnet, especially once you have a 1l oïl tank fitted. I don't suppose it can be shared with the oïl catch tank?

Separate catch tanks needed to avoid sending oil mist onto the track. The regulation is likely to be attentively scrutinised this year, and for very good reasons, so worth getting it right on the car. I'm sorting something out on the Supersports - left hand engine bay on the flitch plate low down. Not fully sorted yet though (I have other teething issues to address...)

Damian GT
Separate catch tanks needed to avoid sending oil mist onto the track. The regulation is likely to be attentively scrutinised this year, and for very good reasons, so worth getting it right on the car. I'm sorting something out on the Supersports - left hand engine bay on the flitch plate low down. Not fully sorted yet though (I have other teething issues to address...)

Is that the radiator tank? Where is your oïl tank? Do you have any pictures?
Is your axle drain plug wired up?

I'll take some piccies..

What's wrong with the jets. You're still a Solex 30 man, aren't you? If so, isn't it pretty standard to set up? Can't remember of the top of my head - is it 110 main?!? Robert Foreman will put me right..

Thanks that would be helpful.

Yes 30mov but I've only just fitted it. It's running more or less ok with a 110main/55slow running and 23mm choke as recommended, but I haven't had time to fiddle with the mixture control to try and get rid of the flat spot. I've allowed Friday and Saturday of next week for fine tuning, so fingers crossed...

I think it can be tricky to lose that flat spot, particularly if you want a really slow tick over.

Tom,
I have always used a 050 slow running jet on all the Ulsters that I have set up with a 110x41 in a number 48 carrier and a 110x51 in a number 12.
Screw the air bleed screw right in and adjust the throttle stop. Go for a good run and then if necessary open the air bleed to get a better tickover adjusting the throttle stop as well. You should be able to get it to idle around 300rpm fully retarded.
Best of luck,
Robert.

Tom,

I will be bringing my big tin of solex stuff if you need to fiddle and try alternate jets.

Regards

Rob

Thanks for the advice and offer of help. I'll have a go next week if my Dad hasn't already sorted it by then - I've forwarded him this thread so hopefully he'll be working round the clock to have it running like a Swiss watch...

Hi Robert,
I am running twin HV 30 solex carburators with 19mm chokes ,55 idle jets,and 105mains.It won,t idle below 1800 rpm !I have planed carb. and manifold flanges and cant find any air leakes in the manifold,above 1800 itseems to run ok !any sugestions?
Best regards,
Russell

Robert,

I tried sending you an email the other day but I got a non-delivery message, has your address changed?

I think I need a new jet carrier and cap, is that something you could supply?

Best regards

Tom

Hi Tom

I am still using the Zenith 22FZ on my Cup Model and, apart from the driver, I believe that it is limiting the car's performance. I am looking to use a Solex and need to get a manifold made up.

Is there any chance that you have a photo of your manifold that you could post?

Many thanks

Peter

Peter,

Here are a couple pictures and one of a Burghley with a similar set up.

photo Engine 1_zpsgqnsgsfb.jpg

photo IMG_5184_zpsqksnovea.jpg

photo photo2_zps69e7883c.jpg

photo 1926-Austin-Seven_Sports-268671457785968_zpskptyo0ql.jpg

I used an aluminium downdraft manifold from John Barlow, extensively fettled and turned upside down. They come with 4 ears on the carb flange to allow a choice of orientation.

The exhaust manifold I designed and had made, I should have a drawing somewhere if you want to go that way. You can’t really use a standard banama manifold as there isn’t space for the carb. The alternative is to have a fabricated inlet manifold and keep the original cast iron exhaust. My car had this set up for a while (you can see the manifold sitting on the bench in one of the pics) and it worked fairly well, but I can’t compare it back to back as it was fitted with a 22mm carb again. I think it probably helps a certain amount, but is a pain to fit as there is so little space.

The overall result is a big improvement over the 22mm carb and in combination with a Ricardo head is giving a lot more torque and about 1000 extra RPM (5500 max now). Now the Solex is properly set up it is also much more responsive when you need to change down gears etc… I think it looks a bit more vintage than an SU and doesn't need a fuel pump which is an added bonus.

There’s probably room for further improvement with better porting and a more aggressive cam but it’s taken so long to get this far that I’m not inclined to take it apart again any time soon!

Tom,

try my email address again as I have spotted an error with my original post.
Peter, I can supply a reproduction steel Ulster inlet to take an updraught Solex.

Russell Wright
Hi Robert,
I am running twin HV 30 solex carburators with 19mm chokes ,55 idle jets,and 105mains.It won,t idle below 1800 rpm !I have planed carb. and manifold flanges and cant find any air leakes in the manifold,above 1800 itseems to run ok !any sugestions?
Best regards,
Russell

Guys Russell Wright has been struggling with this issue on his early Brooklands for some time and if he can sort it we would see a lot more of him at our local historic sprints and regularitys. I introduced him to the forum for advice, and recommend you to his endeavours. Just trying to clear up any confusion considering the similaritys with our names and location and interests. cheers 'the other Russell'

Russell,

I have sent the other Russell an email, it was in my draft folder and I thought I had already sent and hadn't had a response.

Best wishes,
Robert.

Hi Squeak,
thanks for spuring things along, hope it enables me to sort my little car
Regards Russell