Welcome to the Austin Seven Friends web site and forum

As announced earlier, this forum with it's respective web address will go offline within the next days!
Please follow the link to our new forum

http://www.austinsevenfriends.co.uk/forum

and make sure, you readjust your link button to the new address!

Welcome Austin seven Friends
This Forum is Locked
Author
Comment
View Entire Thread
Re: What should be the top speed of my Ulster

Reckless Rat
No it wasn't. It was a fine day in February, the roads were open and there was still frost on the carriageway on the way up the mountain so I couldn't give it too much beans. However after the summit things were clear and no-one about. There is no speed limit on that section of the circuit. (or at least there wasn't then)

It was still fast.

I did three full reasonably quick laps before fatigue got the better of me, taking it steady in the built up areas (for a rest) I have huge respect for the racers who do 6 laps full on Banzai. If you get the chance look at one of McGuinness' videos, at over 120mph average. Cool!

Anyway. Sorry for hijacking the thread. 55MPH in an RP is almost as hairy!

And I thought I was the only RP owner with no ignition key, the wrong speedometer and a broken fuel gauge. 55mph? Nah, I live somewhere flat...

James,
Top speed will depend upon what your engine will rev to, rear axle ratio and tyre diameter.
A decent fast road engine should pull around 5500 in top, which should be around 75 (depending on the above). Race engines will go beyond 7000rpm - 90mph plus.
If you are getting 5000 plus revs at 40 odd mph, something is not right. If your revs are considersbly less, then you may not have quite the engine you thought you had or it needs some fettling. Is it running an SU, if so what size? Rule of thumb for single SU set up, 11/8 for standard engine, 11/4 for fast road and 11/2 for race. Others may have differing views.
Where about are you? Happy to help if you email me.
David.

Thanks for all you suggestions, with regard to the ignition side of things,the car fires up straight away and runs cleanly. When at full chatter it does sound like it is a full revs, is it possible to connect an electronic rev counter to see what it is getting to?
I live near Maidenhead and would welcome help setting it up.

Like the picture obviously taken by a passenger 😀

If you have 12v electrics, most electronic rev counters will work.
Questions not asked are what manifolds are you using and what camshaft. For a fast car, standard manifolds just won't do- powerful A7 engines are all about breathing. The standard manifolds don't.
And, reckless, if you think 180 is quick, try 207, on a test track in northern Germany. Admittedly with 4 wheels on the ground.

Hi James - you can get electronic rev counters that will run on 6volts (they are only counting the points closures).
My take on your issues are that it clearly is running way under par.
It should not need any rev counter - waste of money for what you are after, my advice is to join or go to your local Austin Seven meeting discover the local "expert".
Get them to give you a helping hand which I am sure they will, and get the performance right she is clearly way below right at the moment.
Hope this proves useful and saves you a lot of grief.

I've only recently got my Rod Yates bodied Ulster special on the road and have recorded 65mph on a GPS speedo app on the iPhone. The car has a standard 2 bearing engine, HC head, standard valves, springs and cam with a standard zenith side draught carb and standard DK4A dizzy. Running a 4 speed box with a "D" type axle on 17" wheels revving at @4500. Picks up really well in 1st and 2nd and goes well in 3rd. Pretty long gap between 3 & 4th so getting that gear change right has a significant impact on acceleration/performance.
Looking at some of the posts above, should I be expecting it to rev a little higher? Maybe 5500? Have been a little cautious about thrashing it too hard but if it's supposed to rev that high I'm happy to give it a go 😀😀