Welcome to the Austin Seven Friends web site and forum

As announced earlier, this forum with it's respective web address will go offline within the next days!
Please follow the link to our new forum

http://www.austinsevenfriends.co.uk/forum

and make sure, you readjust your link button to the new address!

Welcome Austin seven Friends
This Forum is Locked
Author
Comment
New rad surrounds

If anyone is looking for an alternative short sports rad surround for a special I can help. I have attached pics. Made from 1mm steel. I made the first one of these to see if I could do it because I couldn't come across an original and I was on a bit of a budget.

Austin rad1 photo 20170424_132253_zpsdhq7yhak.jpg
Austin rad photo 20170426_091211_zpswn66byir.jpg

Re: New rad surrounds

One now advertised

It looks ok but why go to all the trouble of making it and not making it the correct shape?

At that time I did them to see if I could do it to a decent standard. The first one sold. This one was ordered but now the gent is not answering the phone or emails etc. It's up for grabs. May suit someone building a budget race or trials car. I have purchased an original surround to copy. I received irish a week ago and havnt had a chance to start.

Ah ok, so how much are they?

Just sent you an email

Andrew Williams
It looks ok but why go to all the trouble of making it and not making it the correct shape?

I had my Nippy one made by Compound Curvatures of Nottingham (in 2009) They were doing Ulster cowlings and I informed them that the Nippy one was the same except for the various mounting etc holes and would they just make a shell with the filler hole in the top and I would do the rest of the holes. At the time it was £200 (after a reduction in price for not having to do the drillings and fix the top bonnet bracket). After doing all the drilling and mock up fitting I then had it chromed by a recommended firm near Bristol. (the nearest quote I had previously had for a bare cowling was £700 to £800).

Dennis

photo 20170603_165357_zpshnuhtulj.jpg

Almost finished the first copy of a sports type surround.

photo 20170603_164050_zpszgbqptnq.jpg

New necks made. Waiting in copper rivets to come.
 photo 20170607_211730_zpswucf17bl.jpg

Finished!
 photo 20170622_145942_zpsfjphbpmi.jpg
 photo 20170622_145937_zps2gjq4c6p.jpg
 photo 20170622_145930_zps5v7f2xpz.jpg

Well done looks good