Welcome to the Austin Seven Friends web site and forum

As announced earlier, this forum with it's respective web address will go offline within the next days!
Please follow the link to our new forum

http://www.austinsevenfriends.co.uk/forum

and make sure, you readjust your link button to the new address!

Welcome Austin seven Friends
This Forum is Locked
Author
Comment
Steering arms...

Ken Morton writes:

Hi Ruairidh,
I replied to a post on the forum about the shaft on the early steering box and sent an answer. However I went through some of my spares and found a couple of shafts unlike the one noted as BM63 in the spares list. See the one in the centre of the photo. Unlike BM63 the arm is at right angles and the thread is 1/2 inch by 20 tpi—it appears to be otherwise the same as BM63. Could you put this on the forum & ask what it is – may be off a Bantum.

photo DSC00126_zpskbjhtozi.jpg

Re: Steering arms.

Definitely not Bantam, as they have an American made box, either Ross as in my car, or Lavine. The Ross and Lavine have the arm splined onto the shaft. I don't know about the American Austin which was in most respects more like the A7 than the later Bantam. Maybe someone else can help there. I can't tell from the picture what hand the gear is, (an edge-on picture would help) but if you know that then you should be able to work out whether that gear is for RHD or LHD.

Ivan

All parts except the centre arm are genuine Austin. I think you may be right --it my be from an American Austin-- the Austin gear fits perfectly on the tapered shaft with a woodruf key.

The 1/2" x 20tpi thread (UNF) does indicate American manufacture so American Austin seems highly likely. Do both the tapers on the ends of the arm go the same way? If not then it would explain why the US arm is straighter. I see in the 1924 A7 handbook on page 26, it is clear that the drag link is to the left of the arm. I probably have a lubrication chart for an American Austin somewhere but I am guessing now that Am Aus put the drag link on the outside of the drop arm. Who knows why - I can only think that there may have otherwise been a clearance problem with the clutch pedal.

Ivan