Welcome to the Austin Seven Friends web site and forum

As announced earlier, this forum with it's respective web address will go offline within the next days!
Please follow the link to our new forum

http://www.austinsevenfriends.co.uk/forum

and make sure, you readjust your link button to the new address!

Welcome Austin seven Friends
This Forum is Locked
Author
Comment
View Entire Thread
Re: Possible new EU law - Insure SORNed cars.

When I started working on my car I had intended to tax and insure it as normal but the work took longer than anticipated. The car insurance became due and to save some cash I chose to change to fire and theft only. I forgot, however, to SORN the car. I subsequently received a threatening letter from the legal arm of the DVLA saying that their records showed that I had not insured the car for the road and must therefore SORN the car or face prosecution.
I immediately insured the car for fully comprehensive insurance and SORN'd the car.

It would seem that it is not just car tax the authorities are keeping tabs on - they know if you haven't insured your car too!

I feel that there is no need for such heavy handed treatment over such a minor infringement.

Be advised my friends, BIG BROTHER IS WATCHING YOU!

Re: Possible new EU law - Insure SORNed cars.

A year or two ago my insurance company advised me that my insurance was due and no action was needed on my part as it would be automatically renewed unless I cancelled the policy. So as the letter said I took no action assuming that my insurance would be renewed.

Six months later when taxing the car on line I wasn’t able to do so as according to the DVLA I had no insurance cover. A phone call to the insurance company revealed that they had made an error and not renewed my policy. They said they would have honoured any claim against me. I suspect however that in law the onus would have been on me to ensure I had cover and knowing how insurers wriggle out of claims wonder if they really would have honoured a claim.

So beware and make sure you are covered for what you want and not for what you think you are covered for.

Roger