Welcome to the Austin Seven Friends web site and forum

As announced earlier, this forum with it's respective web address will go offline within the next days!
Please follow the link to our new forum

http://www.austinsevenfriends.co.uk/forum

and make sure, you readjust your link button to the new address!

Welcome Austin seven Friends
This Forum is Locked
Author
Comment
View Entire Thread
Re: Don't ignore a lttle oil in your engine coolant!

Bob,
Yes, I think I should have referred to the damage to the outer race on the rear main as " a nasty looking grey depression" and on the front angular contact inner and outer races as " a series of grey threads". The next stage if I had left it would have been spalling of races and rolling elements ie flakes of alloy steel peeling off. In any case they are well and truly cream crackered.
Dave.

And speaking of pressure washers, they have been known to do terrible things to caravans, forcing water under the sealing strips that cover joins in the exterior panels, and into the wooden framework where rot and decay sets in.
But that is a very long digression from the subject of Austin engines.

Mayonnaise type deposits in the oil filler tube can also be caused just by condensation. After my mother died my farther got into the routine of taking his Fiesta out of the garage, driving 3/4 mile round trip to the paper shop, leaving the car on the drive all day then put it back in the garage in the evening, with maybe a couple of short trips out of no more than a couple of miles during the week and a 30 mile round trip to do his shopping once a fortnight.
He checked his oil and fluid levels fairly often and as the Fiesta never used any oil to speak off he never took the filler cap off. After a year or so he asked me to give the car a service for him, on removing the filler cap the rocker cover was full to the top with light grey sludge with the rockers and push rods having made their own little holes in it to move in.