Welcome to the Austin Seven Friends web site and forum

As announced earlier, this forum with it's respective web address will go offline within the next days!
Please follow the link to our new forum

http://www.austinsevenfriends.co.uk/forum

and make sure, you readjust your link button to the new address!

Welcome Austin seven Friends
This Forum is Locked
Author
Comment
1939 Austin seven chassis

Good morning to all,
again a question to my Austin Seven =)

Asking for a friend,

Is there any chassis number stamped on a 1939 Chassis? i can only see the plate near the
startat and the small rectangular plate on the engine firewall.....

Thank you!

Re: 1939 Austin seven chassis

On the late chassis the number is on an aluminium plate on top of the chassis on off-side. It is not stamped on the chassis itself.

Oh, that's why he could'nt find any stamp on the chassis!

Is there any other differences in building construction
then a 1935/1936 chassis?

Thank you
Emanuel

Well, during 1935 and 1936 two chassis were essentially being produced, the pre July 1934 High Frame chassis continued in production fitted predominantly to chrome radiator vans but also I believe some 1935 open tourers? and the Low Frame chassis fitted from July 1934 to Ruby, Pearl and Opal cars.

Jeff.

Location: Almost but not quite, the far North East of England

I am not familiar with later chassis, but, assuming your car is not a Big Seven, all the attachments for the rod brakes wil differ from 1935-37 cars.

The 39 chassis has a short brake cross shaft, so the bearing arrangement on the central stiffer is different, there is only one bearing housing located on the off side chassis rail, the nearside one is no longer fitted. There is also a small u shaped bracket on the rear cross member which houses a pivot for the brake rod back to the rear axle, and the ends of the cross member are subtly different in shape, being slightly more tapered. These are the only differences I am aware of, I would post pictures but recently I have been encountering all sorts of problems with Apple Phoro and photobucket so afraid that will not happen.

the 39 ruby chassis differs subtly from earlier as mentioned above with only a half cross shaft and full girling brakes cable at the front and rod at the rear. the diff case differs as part of the rear pivot for the rear brake rods bolts directly to the diff housing as well.

Thank you every one! Very nice explanation and useful, i will pass these good infos.

The last of the chassis used a back axle with stronger half-shafts, having longer hub tapers and different rear hubs to match. Also they had no locating dowels for the road wheels, which had simple holes for the studs instead of the keyhole arrangement.