Welcome to the Austin Seven Friends web site and forum

As announced earlier, this forum with it's respective web address will go offline within the next days!
Please follow the link to our new forum

http://www.austinsevenfriends.co.uk/forum

and make sure, you readjust your link button to the new address!

Welcome Austin seven Friends
This Forum is Locked
Author
Comment
Gearbox Breather

Last week, hillclimbing on the Isle of Man where some hills we do are over 1 mile in length, had a slight issue with a small amount of gearbox oil escaping via the lever ball housing - close ratio three speed gearbox. Much of these hills is done in second gear, flat out with as many revs as possible and it's crossed my mind that the gearbox might be pressurising. Thinking about it further, we've sometimes had a similar issue with the gearbox in the Trials Chummy on hills where we're flat out in first. I had a problem with my Lea Francis rear axle at one time where I couldn't stop oil pushing past the bearings. That axle had no breather but a Land Rover breather fitted to the top of the axle casing stopped it instantly and is a 'standard' modification for these axles.

So, the question is, any suggestions as to a gearbox breather?

Steve

Re: Gearbox Breather

Have you got room for a gearbox catch tank if you fit a breather, Steve? Perhaps a breather that can be sealed for shorter hills....

Regards,
Stuart

Re: Gearbox Breather

I've just been in the garage thinking exactly the same Stuart. I imagine I could find a space for a small catch tank under the floor. It wouldn't need to be very big as the amount it would have to 'catch' is very small. The amount coming out of the lever ball is minimal - more annoying than anything else as it runs down the sides of the gearbox.

Easy option is a small hole through the filler plug - but I suspect that might result in an oil fountain!

Steve