Welcome to the Austin Seven Friends web site and forum

As announced earlier, this forum with it's respective web address will go offline within the next days!
Please follow the link to our new forum

http://www.austinsevenfriends.co.uk/forum

and make sure, you readjust your link button to the new address!

Welcome Austin seven Friends
This Forum is Locked
Author
Comment
View Entire Thread
Re: Rear wheel bearing

Hi
If the axle shaft is loose or worn where it Rotates in the differential carrier it will put severe loads on the wheel bearing at the other end as it relies on a close fit here to support the shaft from flailing about.Single row ball races are not designed for such loads- unlike a full floating axle arrangement where the axle only transmits torque.
It could be that the axle is a small dia. one in a large diameter bush in the carrier, as there are two different sizes -the variation is 1/64" from memory. I have come across this on several occasions.
if this is indeed the case the Bronze bushes supporting the axles in the differential will be hammered out and need replacing which entails a full strip down to extract the shafts.
I feel this could be the cause of your problem.
Cheers Steve H

Thanks for your in put

After looking at it again, yes I would say that th movement si at the dif end so going to be that bush,
Thanks for your advice.
Regards trevor

Whilst on the topic, the Seven rear wheel bearings are very adequate for the car weight. Provided the tracks and balls are free of pits or spalls, generous shake and clearance is of no consequence. With old cars everything is likely somewhat out of kilter and a slack race accommodates, and is preferable to a close fit new standard tolerance bearing. For semi floating axles, effectively the same situation, NSK recommend a C5 bearing, with 2-3X the internal clearance of a standard bearing.