To get a quick overview of all the messages click on

" Switch to Threaded style "

Forum: Welcome Austin seven Friends
Start a New Topic 
   Board|Threaded
Author
Comment
Which Handbook?

I have a RN that was registered (according to DVLA) on 31/12/1931 and I know that Austin's will have started building them in about October or slightly before so as to be able to enter some in the 1931 Motor Show.
I bought a handbook, Publication 715D, because the foreword is dated November 1931 but I'm beginning to wonder if I should have a different handbook because the illustration and description of the saloon for a short wheelbase car, not the long wheelbase that I have.
Brian

Email  
Re: Which Handbook?

http://archive.a7ca.org/collections/handbooks-and-parts-lists/

The online "archive" appears to suggest 715e for an RN for unspecified date between November 31 & Jan 32 or 715f for chasssis after 144000.

Email  

Many thanks Nicholas, I don't know why I didn't look there first!
Brian

Email  

I have every one of those books including F but no E. As mentioned in another post on may 5th, I believe the letter E to be reserved for export publications. Good luck with finding a copy, let us know if you're successful and what the differences are. cheers Russell.

Email  

Hello Russell, the copy I have is 715D dated on the foreword as November 1931 but this clearly shows an swb car.
I know that Austins sometimes reused some pictures. The carburettor is shown as a Zenith FZ but A7s were fitted with the FZB by the time mine was built. I have seen the posts about E being for export.
My body Number is RN493 and the chassis Number is 143890 which is before Handbook F came in.
Brian

Email  

Hi Brian, Austin's were not particularly good at up dating the drawings in their handbooks and spares books, I think they thought it wasn't critical. Whilst handbook 715f does at least show a side view of a LWB saloon it still shows a 22FZ carburettor and the chassis drawing is of a SWB one.

Email  

Thanks for that Dave, does that mean that the information given is basically correct but the illustrations may be out of date?
Brian

Email  

Correct Brian.

Email  

Thanks Dave.
Brian

Email