Welcome to the Austin Seven Friends web site and forum

As announced earlier, this forum with it's respective web address will go offline within the next days!
Please follow the link to our new forum

http://www.austinsevenfriends.co.uk/forum

and make sure, you readjust your link button to the new address!

Welcome Austin seven Friends
This Forum is Locked
Author
Comment
View Entire Thread
Re: RN Bonnet Hinge

My 1932 RN. has the fixing stud that attaches to the rail just like the Ruby fixing

Et voici!

Just found this photo on a different thread - its that AAK restoration posted by Shuttle. Seems that there is some sort of gadget in the middle of the bonnet hinge to the bonnet rail but certainly there's nothing like that on my RP.

Stuart Joseph
Good morning. I am reluctant to disagree with m' learned friend Mr Betts but I have never seen a centre locating fastening on an RP - Ruby yes RP no.
The 'tube end' I have always associated with the bulkhead end so the bonnet can be easily removed over the radiator.
Regards
Stuart

Shouldn't worry about that stuart.

I'm often wrong when going from memory.

I've had a look at some of the old bonnets I have. And YES I'm wrong again.

Some of the the box bonnets don't have the hold down bolt.

Although austin must have realised it wasn't a good idea to remove the bolt. Because they went back to useing it again on the RUBY bonnets.

Sorry for my mistake tony

I do like to cause problems,at least that's what SWMBO says.My sincerest thanks to all who have contributed to what I thought would be a straight forward answer. So, to summarise, My rail has a hole for the stud but the bonnet was made not to have a stud. The rail end has been cut off at some time and the "tube" end removed. This I shall now have to fabricate and weld back on. The open or trough end should be at the front to facilitate bonnet removal. I may or may not institute a central stud on the hinge to anchor the bonnet more securely using a wing nut to speed up removal. Again thanks to all, Peter.

Having had a bonnet lift at medium speed into a severe head wind in another make with huge damage (including to my nerves) I would suffer any slight inconvenience of the tube to front. My guess is that owners were fitting reversed and/or in extreme winds bonnets were moving back anyway so a reversion to the safety strap (not fitted on my RP). On many cars there is now little retaining the ball of the bonnet clips.