Welcome to the Austin Seven Friends web site and forum

As announced earlier, this forum with it's respective web address will go offline within the next days!
Please follow the link to our new forum

http://www.austinsevenfriends.co.uk/forum

and make sure, you readjust your link button to the new address!

Welcome Austin seven Friends
This Forum is Locked
Author
Comment
View Entire Thread
Re: Ruby mk2 front brake levers.

Oohh! Matron !!!

Thank you to all who have replied to my query , as a semi luddite I am always amazed at the fact that you can dip in to such a rich pool of expertise for advice with just a few taps on a keyboard.
Anyway back to Rubies balls !!!, I have come to the conclusion that the levers themselves are correctly positioned with regards to the leverage angle but the ball ends facing forwards means that there is an acute angle between the cable and these ends.
Swapping the levers over will mean that the cable will be near to 90 degrees to the ends therefore I think a side for side swap is on the cards this coming weekend.
Thanks again to all .

Don't do it!

If they are pointing forward that's where they should be. The idea is that the lever/cable angle does not go beyond 90° when fully applied or mechanical efficiency will be lost. An slight acute angle when at rest is fine.

I think this is not the angle in the vertical but horizontal.
It sounds as though the levers have been twisted to make the cable meet the ball ends at 90deg while still being forward vertically.

Thanks Jim, got it now. It's the balls that are facing forward relative to the levers. Senior moment. RTFQ as my old science teacher used to say.

To remove the lever is a bit of a faff because you have to take off the backplates to do it. I'd be tempted to buy a pair of new ones and cotters too in case they've been bent by a previous owner. Trying to straighten them could weaken them and a snapped lever is not what you want in an emergency.

Getting the cotters out without damage or overloading the bush will be the next challenge. May be able to press out with a piece of tube and a G clamp or small vice. If you must hammer the blow must be absorbed with a heavy mass ie axe head. (I presume you may not be the generation accustomed to traditional bicycle maintenance!) Try hitting with a block of hardwood.

I ve just done a full refurb of my Girling brakes front and rear ( still one hub to complete) however I didn't remove the back plate to get my front levers off.. I salute you for trying but personally you ll spend a lot of time and energy trying to do it and potentially end up with a weak spot so cut em off and replace with new arms cotters and fulcrum.. then you ll be in no doubt that all is as good as it gets.. these are the brakes whose one task is to save you and your pride and joy from physical damage. peace of mind is priceless.

I have fully rebuilt both front brakes including new cams, bushes , pins etc so I am hoping that removing the levers may not be too much of a problem even if it means removing the backplates. Just a pity I didn't realise that the last person to work on them in the dim and distant past had them the wrong way round.
Another lesson learnt , never assume because it looks old and original that it is correct !!

Joe Eckersall
never assume because it looks old and original that it is correct !!

Especially true of Austin Sevens which have probably been home maintained for many years incorporating bits obtained second hand from several different cars.

And Joe, just to be clear, you push the cotters in from the front, with the nuts to the rear. Cheers, Bill

Check out-

http://pub25.bravenet.com/forum/static/show.php?usernum=2099944454&frmid=5&msgid=910387&cmd=show

Cheers, Tony.

Bill Sheehan writes:

Hi again R. Still nuisancing. Could you please post the following on the Forum under the heading " Ruby Mk.2 front end" item. Appreciate your help.

A couple of Friends have contacted me questioning my above statement that my nuts go to the back (on a Ruby Mk.2!). I apologise if wrong, but if so someone should tell the Austin Motor Company as well?. Please see a section from the factory drawing (done 1937) of a complete front end. Cheers, Bill

photo 5AA97D41-23CA-453D-864F-E4F1665C0065_zpsaj8r94vv.png