Welcome to the Austin Seven Friends web site and forum

As announced earlier, this forum with it's respective web address will go offline within the next days!
Please follow the link to our new forum

http://www.austinsevenfriends.co.uk/forum

and make sure, you readjust your link button to the new address!

Welcome Austin seven Friends
This Forum is Locked
Author
Comment
View Entire Thread
Re: NEW DK4A Distributor for Austin 7 and Big 7 £129.95

seen have been on ebay for a little while now, so has anyone tried and got any feedback from useage?

Nice they have black tops.

Not cheaper direct though, seemingly, despite ebay fees? Perhaps forum discounts

See the minutes of the A7CA for april 2017.
Serious discount offered currently to members.

well spotted Nick! (And well done Accuspark)

I note the minutes say 12V only, but accuspark website says 6V too.. which would seem silly if it weren't? Can anyone confirm?

Use accuspark website and the code from minutes if you are a club member....

I see they are involved in the dynamometer project too.

And if you do not want, or feel the need to to modify your car, Distributor Doctor can supply complete new original spec units, or the parts you need to rebuild you old one.

I fitted one of these that I ordered via eBay only a few weeks ago. So far all has been good. It is basically a straight swap and is available for both 6 & 12v cars (it's the same unit for both), slots in nicely and the car fired up first go. I've only done about 25miles since fitting but no complaints so far..

Negative or positive earth?

Mine is negative earth although I think they supply for both, but would need to confirm

Robbie
Mine is negative earth although I think they supply for both, but would need to confirm

If you have a DK4A in current use on six volts it is easy and relatively inexpensive to convert to electronic using the base plate conversion supplied by Powerspark Ignition of Bromsgrove.
I am on positive earth and fitted their kit last October, costing £45.00 plus VAT. It works well -- great starting and smooth running. ( no, I'm not on commission!)

Charles

Nicholas Boorman
See the minutes of the A7CA for april 2017.
Serious discount offered currently to members.

Whilst looking for this item I note that the same beast seems to be available from both Accuspark and Powerspark, I also looked at the Association minutes to find a discount code without success, mind you I did only have a blokes look and might need pointing in the right direction by one of those chaps with bumps in their jumpers!
Would there be a preferred supplier and what discount please, if further info is available.
Thanks in anticipation

Jack, I reproduce here the relevant para of the A7CA Business AGM minutes of April 2017 (page 4)

"The ‘Ruby’ distributor (12 volt version only will be available)
with an in-built 12v electronic unit installed within the cap that I showed at our last Meeting has been tested and works well. It is now in production with an initial supply of about 100 units.
The model is: DKY4 and retails at £129.95 incl VAT
. It will be available to Members at £89.95 on web Site:

www.accuspark.co.uk
using Discount Code: club7
(for next 3 months)
-
thanks to BB Classics for this helpful initiative"

Ian Mc.

I guess the other thing which is worth bringing up is the design in relation to the originals. Someone raised the lack of lubrication point in the generic Bosch-type 009 copies which have previously been being converted with a 7 cog, and are available pretty cheaply prior to conversion.

Does this unit address the deficiency?

I don't want to lose my original Lucas, but I don't presently have a spare... and I am curious at being able to compare the physical running characteristics of new and old systems.

This one does not have the little lubrication tube on it unfortunately. there is however a screw in about the same position as the lube tube that I'd think could be made to work. When I asked if lubrication was required (as it didn't have the lube tube) I was told you can remove this screw and squirt in a little oil... Shouldn't be too much of a problem to fit the tube and make it look fully authentic..

Ian McGowan
Jack, I reproduce here the relevant para of the A7CA Business AGM minutes of April 2017 (page 4)

with an in-built 12v electronic unit installed within the cap that I showed at our last Meeting has been tested and works well. It is now in production with an initial supply of about 100 units.

www.accuspark.co.uk
(for next 3 months)
-

Ian Mc.

Does this mean both companies will accept the discount code or just via Accuspark?

Thanks
Steve V.

No idea Stephen! I just knew where to find the info. which I reproduced here. It is of no personal interest to me.

Ian Mc.

Fair enough Ian.

Steve V

Ian McGowan

www.accuspark.co.uk
(for next 3 months)
-

Ian Mc.

Thank you for the various replies, in particular thank you Ian, unit ordered, discount taken, seems like a cracking price Grommit!

Good afternoon.
My distributor has just arrived sans any information. I am assuming the red wire goes to the coil and the black to earth.
What is the purpose of the large screw? It doesn't appear to do anything but would make an ideal entry point for the oiler.
Regards
Stuart

Hi Stuart
There was a very basic wiring diagram with mine.. on mine both wires go to the coil, one to get the power for the unit and the other to feed the coil with the "pulse". trouble is I cant remember off the top of my head which colour went where..
The large screw is there for lubrication purposes and I intend on fitting the oiler tube there when I get around to it..
I'll see if I can dig out the wiring diagram I have and send you a copy
cheers
Robbie

Look at http://www.simonbbc.com/distributor-install-helper

Many thanks Robbie and Jim, I found the red and black wires counter intuitive as I've a similar device on the MGB, and wouldn't have thought of connecting it across the coil.
Regards
Stuart

Is there any reason why this shouldn't fit onto a 1930ish coil engine?