To get a quick overview of all the messages click on

" Switch to Threaded style "

Forum: Welcome Austin seven Friends
Start a New Topic 
   Board|Threaded
Author
Comment
Slippery Anne is coming together

A long time since I posted anything about my build, but Slippery Anne is now coming together, as much as she looks like a wooden aeroplane in this picture, she actually has the feel of a car now and not the collection of bits and bobs she has been for so long.

Regards, Mark.

photo IMG_1398_zpsskeemi22.jpg

Email  
Re: Slippery Anne is coming together

Good to see her progressing Mark, interesting treatment at the front of the chassis for the spring mount!
Keep up the good work, it is a shame your mentor is not here to see this I am sure she would have been most pleased.

Email  

Hi Mark,

Loving the work, looks great, any chance of more pictures? Would be great to see a close up of the joining techniques used to construct the tail, looks like you've spent a couple of hours!

I've got the same tyres on my special, made that mistake before.

Tom

Email  

This looks excellent - thanks for sharing.

Email  

+1 on the "more photos", as they say.

That woodwork looks to be quite complex, Mark. Have you been doing it from calculations or just by 'eye'?

Email  

Hi Tom,
The tail is a glued structure, it is in fact built using the same materials and adhesives used to construct wooden airframes; the glue used is Aerolight 306.
My challenge in building this car is to get the shape correct, I imagine that back in the day they allowed the wood to assume natural bends and curves, if I did that, then the car would have a different shape to the original body, dictated by the grain and density of each individual piece of wood. So almost every piece here is made up of laminations. The resulting structure is very light, strong and dimensionally stable.
The tail will ultimately be covered in doped Irish linen.

I have attempted to make the body exactly as it was in 1925, but do rather struggle to fit into it, so have not completed the structure behind the drivers sest, I may just need to alter this once we start running the car.

Mark

photo IMG_1389_zpshvsow0m8.jpg

photo IMG_1402_zps3d81temd.jpg

photo IMG_1400_zpscvifz2so.jpg

photo IMG_1402_zps3d81temd.jpg

Email  

What a superb piece of work, Can't wait to see her finished.

Brilliant, well done.

Email  

photo dovetails.jpeg

Email  

I would guess to expand the surface area of the rib contact point, and the glue acting in shear enables the rib to support a greater vertical load.

Email  

Hello Rob,
You asked me if I used calculation or eye, well
It is a mixture of both, mostly calculation, but always balanced with, 'does it look right?'

My approach has been to scale everything from the period photos against the known dimensions of surviving original components. Then to produce a working drawing, then a template, followed by offering it all up and judging if it looks correct against the period pictures.

photo IMG_1412_zpsw9busbn2.jpg

John asked why the stringers have 'dove tails' under them; these stringers form a complex compound curve, which unlike the stringers used for the side of the tail I could not plot to my satisfaction on a drawing, so I needed a mounting system which allowed me adjustment during assembly whilst giving a reasonable surface area for the glue and imparting some rigidity to thouse formers made of ply. The following picture taken during assembly of the upper stringers demonstrates my approach, if you look carefully a period picture is laid into the fuel tank mounting against which I am checking the stringers look just right.

Regards, Mark.

photo IMG_1357_zpsfrwy9uym.jpg

Email  

Quote: squeak
I would guess to expand the surface area of the rib contact point, and the glue acting in shear enables the rib to support a greater vertical load.

Hello Squeak,

Yes, just so.

Regards, Mark.

Email  

Thanks, Squeak and Mark, for your replies. That makes sense. I had wondered if they were to help adjust position but hadn't thought about the additional strength and rigidity.

A lovely piece of work, Mark. seems a shame to cover it.

John

Email  

Hi Mark,

Thanks for the close up photos, really beautiful work, I take my hat off to your woodworking skills. I can't work out if there's a recurve on the sides of the tail or whether it's just an optical illusion?

Looking forward to seeing the progress.

Quote: John Mims
seems a shame to cover it.

John
I'll second that!

Tom

Email  

Hi Mark

Surely the original car was not so ornate? Will you be able to bring yurself to risk all that meticulous work racing? Hard enough to cover it up.
Do you have details of the original, or just exterior photos?

Email  

Splendid news Mark. Very impressed! Delayed response because I have been away, not because I was too stunned to write! Have no fear, you will get in it somehow.
Regards, Stuart

Email  

Bob,

Mark wrote-

"I have attempted to make the body exactly as it was in 1925, but do rather struggle to fit into it, so have not completed the structure behind the drivers seat, I may just need to alter this once we start running the car."

and later-

"My approach has been to scale everything from the period photos against the known dimensions of surviving original components. Then to produce a working drawing, then a template, followed by offering it all up and judging if it looks correct against the period pictures."

So I suppose the original car was as you call it 'ornate'.

Cheers, Tony.

Email