Welcome to the Austin Seven Friends web site and forum

As announced earlier, this forum with it's respective web address will go offline within the next days!
Please follow the link to our new forum

http://www.austinsevenfriends.co.uk/forum

and make sure, you readjust your link button to the new address!

Welcome Austin seven Friends
This Forum is Locked
Author
Comment
View Entire Thread
Re: 4 speed box on a 1929 coil engine...

Don't you have to move the engine forward to allow the gearbox to clear the front crossmember?
The speedo will be about 100% out unless you change the worm and gear too.

Page 257 of "The A7 Companion has an article by FL Townend (1950)& a later (1953)comment by the editor suggested it was better to shorten the propshaft rather than move the engine forward
My 1932 AG tourer has a slightly earlier engine (about 10.000 numbers)& has been converted to 4 speed by moving the engine forward ...very close to the radiator. I think it must have a short pulley. The original 3 speed is with the car. It has a second speedo (not connected!)I have no idea what the clutch is like...I am a little way from getting it mobile.
David H

Have had this setup on my '31 tourer for a long time. The chassis has not been re-drilled. It has a 3 speed cover plate combined with the 4 speed pressure plate, release bearing and toggles.

If you drill the 3 speed cover for mousetrap springs using the a 4 speed cover as a drilling jig, you'll find that the coil portions of the springs will be hanging in mid air as the three speed cover doesn't have the radiused seating groove of the 4 speed version.

It's correct for the year of motor you're doing anyway, but you have to use the bacon slicer starter to get sufficient clearance over the taller 4 speed box, rather than the later rear facing starter.

Hi R,
I have done this on my November 28 top hat R saloon. It is possible to leave the engine in the original position if you use countersunk screws in the layshaft retaining bolt holes instead of the hex head bolts this gives about 3/8 " more room. If you are using a short chassis with uncoupled brakes the main problem is the front brake cable will rub on the gearbox housing in the area of the reverse idler / Oil filler bulge. This can cause the car to pull to the left. I still need to form a" cunning plan " to minumise this (roller- pulleys to re route around ?) This said I have driven the car many miles since.
Clutch-wise I modified the pressure plate to mousetrap springs by grafting -turning and welding the later toggle plate to suit along with the hammerhead levers - All this works well.
I have used a Bacon slicer starter. on 12 volts and a 4 speed herringbone crash-box which gives a great hill climbing ratio with relative silence. First gear is lower than any other box and great for hill starts with a caravan / off-roading etc. Nice engineering in these too and indestructable.

Cheers Steve

I forgot about the cable rubbing on the 'box. It had been doing that before I got the car, and had worn some very deep grooves in the casing.

I ran it through a short length of Bowden outer - old speedo cable outer, maybe - held on to I can't remember what, with a couple of turns of copper wire.

Simples.

Simon

Ruairidh, I recommend that you contact Andrew Jarmin or Malcolm Watts of the Cornwall A7Club. They have done this conversion to more than a few three speed A7s due to the 'Cornish Alps' hindering upward progress. Everyone who has had the conversion done locally (including me) would not go back even though missing clutchless gear changes and melodic sounds coming from the gearbox. Far better than the sounds from the driver stuck on a one in 'very little' local hill, and that's if somewhere can be found to turn and go up in reverse.
All the best,
Peter
Sunny Cornwall

I seem to recall the floor support bracket on the passenger side has to have the rivets ground off, reversed and bolted back on. The floor has to be cutaway to accommodate the oil filler plug area. The splined tail shaft drive flange can be exchanged for one from a 4sp crash box if you are still using a fabric universal. I'm guessing you already know all this so I include it for others. cheers Russell

I made sure the 4 speed filler plug was tight and left the floor as was, checking the oil level and filling via the gear lever hole like the 3 speed.

For the 4 speed box I cut off the boss holding the gearlever and rewelded it back on the gearbox top further towards the driver's side and cranked the internal bit of the gearlever. Filed down the gearbox top enough to allow the 1930 to 1932 rearward facing starter motor and housing to fit on. This was 25 years ago and so I forget the finer detail. It still works ok. I did this to make it look slightly more authentic for my ulster replica and also because the bacon slicer starter creation should have been left at the meat factory where it belongs.
Dave.

Thank you everybody - here and off-line - who contacted me. I am very grateful for all your experience and advice, it is very helpful.

Just one more mod you will probably want to do. Change the brass spiral drive from a 3 speed box to the 4 speed box--it is held in drive by the drive flange , or the 3 arm flex drive boss on the early 4 speed. I think there is a slight mod to do to the brass spiral (I did this many years ago). you will then have the correct ratio for the PA speedo.

Thank you Ken.

Not sure of the value of mousetrap springs. I use a 3 speed box with 1925 engine & have a 4 speed release bearing and the later clutch fingers. No mousetraps, no problem.

Ruairidh

I have thi 4 speed arrangement on 1932 car detail on the DA7C website. Which should apply to a 1929 A7.

http://www.da7c.co.uk/technical_torque_articles/3_to_4speed_gearbox_conversion.htm

Douglas

Thank you Douglas and Charles.