Welcome to the Austin Seven Friends web site and forum

As announced earlier, this forum with it's respective web address will go offline within the next days!
Please follow the link to our new forum

http://www.austinsevenfriends.co.uk/forum

and make sure, you readjust your link button to the new address!

Welcome Austin seven Friends
This Forum is Locked
Author
Comment
View Entire Thread
Re: 4 speed box on a 1929 coil engine...

I made sure the 4 speed filler plug was tight and left the floor as was, checking the oil level and filling via the gear lever hole like the 3 speed.

Ruairidh, I recommend that you contact Andrew Jarmin or Malcolm Watts of the Cornwall A7Club. They have done this conversion to more than a few three speed A7s due to the 'Cornish Alps' hindering upward progress. Everyone who has had the conversion done locally (including me) would not go back even though missing clutchless gear changes and melodic sounds coming from the gearbox. Far better than the sounds from the driver stuck on a one in 'very little' local hill, and that's if somewhere can be found to turn and go up in reverse.
All the best,
Peter
Sunny Cornwall

For the 4 speed box I cut off the boss holding the gearlever and rewelded it back on the gearbox top further towards the driver's side and cranked the internal bit of the gearlever. Filed down the gearbox top enough to allow the 1930 to 1932 rearward facing starter motor and housing to fit on. This was 25 years ago and so I forget the finer detail. It still works ok. I did this to make it look slightly more authentic for my ulster replica and also because the bacon slicer starter creation should have been left at the meat factory where it belongs.
Dave.

Thank you everybody - here and off-line - who contacted me. I am very grateful for all your experience and advice, it is very helpful.

Just one more mod you will probably want to do. Change the brass spiral drive from a 3 speed box to the 4 speed box--it is held in drive by the drive flange , or the 3 arm flex drive boss on the early 4 speed. I think there is a slight mod to do to the brass spiral (I did this many years ago). you will then have the correct ratio for the PA speedo.

Thank you Ken.

Not sure of the value of mousetrap springs. I use a 3 speed box with 1925 engine & have a 4 speed release bearing and the later clutch fingers. No mousetraps, no problem.

Ruairidh

I have thi 4 speed arrangement on 1932 car detail on the DA7C website. Which should apply to a 1929 A7.

http://www.da7c.co.uk/technical_torque_articles/3_to_4speed_gearbox_conversion.htm

Douglas

Thank you Douglas and Charles.