Welcome to the Austin Seven Friends web site and forum

As announced earlier, this forum with it's respective web address will go offline within the next days!
Please follow the link to our new forum

http://www.austinsevenfriends.co.uk/forum

and make sure, you readjust your link button to the new address!

Welcome Austin seven Friends
This Forum is Locked
Author
Comment
View Entire Thread
Re: Slippery Anne is coming together

Bob,

Mark wrote-

"I have attempted to make the body exactly as it was in 1925, but do rather struggle to fit into it, so have not completed the structure behind the drivers seat, I may just need to alter this once we start running the car."

and later-

"My approach has been to scale everything from the period photos against the known dimensions of surviving original components. Then to produce a working drawing, then a template, followed by offering it all up and judging if it looks correct against the period pictures."

So I suppose the original car was as you call it 'ornate'.

Cheers, Tony.

Bob Culver
Hi Mark

Surely the original car was not so ornate? Will you be able to bring yurself to risk all that meticulous work racing? Hard enough to cover it up.
Do you have details of the original, or just exterior photos?

Hello Bob,

I am worried that the tail will get damaged, but have to take that risk, in respect of covering it, it is all visible from inside the cars cockpit, so thats ok.

I think ornate is probably not the word here because it implies superfluous ornamentation, to understand the tail structure of the car, we do need to move our thinking back to the world of 90 to 100 years ago, also the design rational of the car in the context of the time with available materials and skills of the time.

Structures like this were a common thing at this time and nothing in them was superfluous, it all had a job to do. Remember that in the period Austin was an aircraft manufacturer, producing structures which looked, and worked, exactly like this one. Every other woodworker of the day, male or female, could make assemblies just like this.

So thinking back to the design rational for the car, it had to be strong and light, why not use the principles of aircraft manufacture? It also had to be aerodynamic, again, an open structure covered in fabric, then doped until it is drum tight is certainly that. The cars tail also needed to carry a reasonably large fuel tank, so the structure had to carry this load.
A big help to me with the tail is that doped linen shows what lies beneath very well, the following picture as a case in point, the car was a good 12 to 18 months old when this picture was taken, by which time the stringers had started to quilt around the substructure frames, all of which helped with my interoperation of what lay beneath the surface. I also have some pictures which show a partial view into the tail, in which some of the frames are visible....just!

photo ISA Chassis 2_0002_zpsfv1qtgdh.jpg

Yesterday I decide to reorganise my garage and make some more room, so rolled all my kit out into the drive, it was quite a day as for the first time Slippery felt the sun on her chassis, this also gave me the chance to take some pictures from a distance, which make the whole thing look far more delicate and less ornate- much more form following function.

I am trying to make the car as it was back in 1925, accepting the issues that will result, so have retained 6" brakes and wheels and so on, I have howver decide to fit a starter motor, just to make things more practical. Similarly, I have used a more recent wood glue (from the 1930's) to ensure durability.

Another big event this week will be running the engine with the supercharger hanging out of the front, fingers crossed.

Regards, Mark.

photo IMG_1445_zpsgjuy7jer.jpg

That is a masterpiece!. Nothing quite like getting far enough away from it to give it the proper "eye". In general the rule is "if it looks right it is right" and I think you have cracked it there.
It's very easy to pass adverse comment, very often by those who "can't do".
You obviously can, well done that man!

Mark Atkinson

Another big event this week will be running the engine with the supercharger hanging out of the front, fingers crossed.

Regards, Mark./quote]

I trust you will be filming this historic moment, Mark?
Regards,
Stuart

stuart ulph
Mark Atkinson

Regards, Mark./quote]

I trust you will be filming this historic moment, Mark?
Regards,
Stuart

I second Stuart's comment and hope that you will allow us to see the footage, fabulous stuff Mark very well done!

Thank you so much for sharing this with everyone, and thank you for bringing something back to life which otherwise would only be seen in photographs. The chassis and body work look amazing and is a massive credit to the amount of research and work that you have obviously put in to getting each part just right. Awaiting updates (and to see that amazing blown engine) with bated breath.

Thanks Mark

Certainly fits the photo. Having been involved in the maintenace of traditional sea scout cutters the complex construction should not have been surprising. I had in mind a somewhat basic looking car, but now realise this was Mrs Jo Jo.

I have read that the body for a production MG M cost L6.10s so was presumably somewhat more simple! Although still a fortnights wage.

Bob,

I think Slippery Anne and Mrs Jo Jo competed against each other at Brooklands

http://austinharris.co.uk/taxonomy/term/118%2C115/photo/1928-jcc-200/509?page=56

Cheers, Tony.