Welcome to the Austin Seven Friends web site and forum

As announced earlier, this forum with it's respective web address will go offline within the next days!
Please follow the link to our new forum

http://www.austinsevenfriends.co.uk/forum

and make sure, you readjust your link button to the new address!

Welcome Austin seven Friends
This Forum is Locked
Author
Comment
View Entire Thread
Re: "The worlds fastest Austin"

We watched the film at the Uckfield Picture house on Thursday and I can confirm that the replica is well featured.
There is a mix of new and old, movie film and stills. colour and black and white.
Well worth seeing but please don't watch it on a TV or a laptop, go to a cinema.

photo unnamed 1_zpsrmxgyoro.jpg photo unnamed 2_zpsxizsennp.jpg photo unnamed 5_zpsr7vyroqv.jpg photo unnamed 4_zpspose8vc7.jpg photo IMG_0729_zpsdpht44mu.jpg photo IMG_0729_zpsdpht44mu.jpg
 photo DSC05924_zpslp47tffp.jpg
A few more pictures of the build and filming for your enjoyment.

Ian - a truly great work - Congrats. Are you going to retain it as such or pull it to pieces? If you wish to display it as a complete car, I'd suggest the addition of Big Seven bits on the front end (as did Bruce's father) would help. As for the title - I'd suggest a rival for the fastest was a Melbourne man who many years ago got a job on an Australian island and took his furniture & effects plus his Speedy with him. After a couple of years they didn't renew his contract and weren't helpful with the return of his effects. There was no room for the Speedy on the boat, so he pushed it off the highest cliff into the sea. He claimed it descended faster than it had even done on the road. Cheers, Bill.

Hi Bill,

We pulled it apart again after the movie, the body still exists and we may sell it to a worthwhile cause at some point. The car was built to Mk 1 specification as Bruce's father built the car and Bruce learnt to drive in, hence the Ulster front end. Bruce later fitted a big seven front end, we had one available to be installed for later scenes however that ended up not being used in the film. When viewing the remains of the genuine car in the McLaren collection one should remember it underwent several revisions as well as a couple of restorations during its life. The car today now looks rather over restored and the shape of the tail is not as it was during Bruce Mclaren's ownership, a lot of the genuine car sadly ended up in a skip during the first restoration here in NZ, McLaren racing then restored it again to the pristine condition we now see.

If I can get photo bucket to play ball I will see if I can upload some period pictures of it under construction and being raced by Bruce.

Pictures as promised, showing construction. photo McLaren004 Large_zpslekrcdgt.jpg photo McLaren005 Large_zpsddq0bxvz.jpg
Mark 1 with ulster front end photo Bruce in Austin MK 2-crop1352x1140_zpskexarqpn.jpg
Mark 2 with Big 7 front end photo McLaren003 Large_zpsnnlkbj6b.jpg photo McLaren001 Large_zpsv6qsuke5.jpg

HI Ian,

Thanks for putting up the Photos

photo mclarensA7.jpg

and this was parked in the same museum, Queenstown I think, well it was over 40 years ago.

photo 100_0613.jpg

Just after watching the movie online. Well worth a watch!