Welcome to the Austin Seven Friends web site and forum

As announced earlier, this forum with it's respective web address will go offline within the next days!
Please follow the link to our new forum

http://www.austinsevenfriends.co.uk/forum

and make sure, you readjust your link button to the new address!

Welcome Austin seven Friends
This Forum is Locked
Author
Comment
View Entire Thread
Re: Opal side screeens

Hi Janet, contact me direct Jon

be careful before buying.

if my memory serves me right. the hole spacing in the top of the doors is different from 2 seat tourer. to the opal.

and the doors are a different length.

most people muddle these cars up.

if you want new, willie mckenzie may have then.

i think i have a complete original set, but not sure if they are 2 seat or opal.

tony

Janet
Safest bet is to use the irons fitted to your car. I can get them done local to me. Talk to you next week.

Thanks Derek, it is actually for Yves car! He's sold it to Cedric who is a Tacot club chap.were seeing him on Saturday en route to Valenciennes!

Didn't think that yours were in bad condition. Still applies if he wants to send them over.. I knew that Cedric had bought it.

Whilst it is possible to install new clear in old curtains, most likely you are requiring all new except the frames.
First try the old frames in the door peg holes to see the spacing fits and note the extremities of the fabric portions and where they finish i.e Does the front wrap around the windscreen pillar or behind, does the top just brush the lower edge of the hood when shutting the door (yes), how far is is the rear edge behind the door (remember you will require an overlap).
Now slice the old fabric off with a sharp knife and clean up and paint the rusty old frames, you can see at this time if they require a little bending to align with the car side profile.
Stick some masking tape on the frames and remembering how far out from the frames you needed to terminate the fabric, measure and write on the masking tape (in most cases you will make allowances here for a BETTER FIT). You can now send your frames off for recovery knowing they will line up, minimise draughts and leaks.
I would never accept a customers old curtains for recover without first seeing the car and making my own measurement adjustments, clip positions etc.
If you have no frames quite simple to make new ones IF you have the car present.
Would help to take pictures with the screens ON THE CAR BEFORE stripping and again after stripping when you have made adjustments e.g length of peg.
This reminds me, are your doors sagging, better to fix now instead of filing the pegs. cheers Russell

I had some lovely screens made for my Opal from the originals but unfortunately I forgot to check what the fitment in the door stowage was like - the new ones are just too big, if you intend running with them off don't repeat my mistake.

Dave