Welcome to the Austin Seven Friends web site and forum

As announced earlier, this forum with it's respective web address will go offline within the next days!
Please follow the link to our new forum

http://www.austinsevenfriends.co.uk/forum

and make sure, you readjust your link button to the new address!

Welcome Austin seven Friends
This Forum is Locked
Author
Comment
View Entire Thread
Re: Petrol/air mixture adjustment

My RP had a leak on the needle valve not the valve itself, but the sealing washer was not seating well. I tinned the washer which cured the leak . I noticed the float was wearing where the needle rubs on the top, so, as the mixture looked a bit rich, I tinned the wear dimple, this seamed to cure the richness. I have now fitted an ex-mini SU carb on a home made adapter, giving better torque and adjustment.

Hi,

It might be worth trying spark plugs with a different heat range, fit plugs which are hotter running.
My engine showed black sooty plugs until I fitted hotter running plugs.
( NGK lower number runs hotter, if you run with 6 try a set of 5 )
Ruby heads are well known for plug fouling.

Thanks everyone!

Richard, thanks for the tip re the plugs... I'm running on champion plugs from the seven workshop at the mo, might try a different type as per your suggestion...

Or is it just stale fuel which behaves like kerosene?

Sorry, missed the word air. (For others, with externally vented carbs, any air filter functions as the choke. On other makes export models with air filters were fitted weaker jets than versions without.)

I dont know the exact mechanism but on my car a simple silencer with little obstruction dropped mmpg from 50 to 40. I have also read of the effect in tuning books.

(The 1937 heads are prone to oil on plugs, the earlier very resistant.)

The idle circuit contributes notably at part throttle. Tinkering with slow adj, prog jet etc effects mpg. I run a 1600cc 1960s car and and the slow run (idle) jet is prone to blockage. As well as stalling, it is apparent as slight irregualr running up to 50 mph on the flat)

I am afraid your tendency to speak in half sentences makes you rather hard to understand Bob, so my apologies for thinking you meant fuel filter. I think you will find that a free flowing exhaust system improves the volumetric efficiency of an engine which in turn increase's the amount of fuel used. However volumetric efficiency and the fuel air mixture are different things, it is more usual that the mixture weakens when air flow is increased.
It is likely that you made such a small improvement to your cars performance that it was un noticeable other than in fuel used. In my experience removing restriction in the silencer of a seven, unless seriously restricted, makes little appreciable difference to top end, but does improve low down torque. As you seem to love an armchair theory I am sure you will come up with another answer. There were some replacement Silencers on the market in the UK a few years ago which were very poorly designed and had quite a marked negative effect on performance, I have come across a couple here.

Robbie
I would strongly suggest that you try hotter plugs.
I have found that with 18mm plugs the Champion D21 and similarly with 14mm plugs NGK B5HS.
Gives great results in Austin Sevens.
All available from Green spark plug Co.
I personally believe it is a change in the composition of fuel that has created this problem.
Hope that succeeds for you.
Nick

Thanks All
Nick, just ordered a set of NGK's from the green spark plug co and will feedback results..
Thanks for the advice 😀

I have a similar problem. Approx how many turns anticlockwise when screw is tight should I give to air mixture screw

I installed the new plugs and this certainly made a difference. Running a lot lot better!!
My air mixture screw is 1/2 turn anticlockwise from tight, but to be honest it doesn't make much difference other than at idle

Robbie

My air mixture screw is 1/2 turn anticlockwise from tight, but to be honest it doesn't make much difference other than at idle

It is not supposed to Robbie! Set it to gain the fastest idle with no hunting