Welcome to the Austin Seven Friends web site and forum

As announced earlier, this forum with it's respective web address will go offline within the next days!
Please follow the link to our new forum

http://www.austinsevenfriends.co.uk/forum

and make sure, you readjust your link button to the new address!

Welcome Austin seven Friends
This Forum is Locked
Author
Comment
dynamo/fan housing repair or replacement

Hello

My 1937 Ruby dynamo/fan housing has the beginnings of a crack on the fan spindle cotter pin aperture.

It's not broken...yet!

Has anyone successfully had this repaired? or is there a reproduction replacement available? or has anyone got one for sale that is in good order.

Any help/guidance gratefully received.

Cheers

Pricey

Re: dynamo/fan housing repair or replacement

A good welder will sort this out, or you could call one of our cherished suppliers to get a sound second hand housing.

Ian Williams
A good welder will sort this out.

Sounds like a plan. I like repair rather than replace if able to.

Does anyone know of/use a good welder in the Chesterfield area ish?

cheers

Pricey

Yellow pages for anyone with TiG welding facilities, or try your local Tech College. I have always found them up for a challenge. Take the fan spindle & cotter with you.

This is a lesson to all Seven owners, and especially new ones. When I first worked on my Seven as a teenager I split one of these (after hand polishing to a chrome like finish!). Particularly for those accustomed to the incredible bolt tensions encountered in moderns, the many alloy parts and threads in Sevens require a very gentle touch.
The fan cotter need not be very tight, about the worst that can happen is that it will slacken and the fan slip.
Incidentally there can be quite a variation in centre height. With a little thought this can be assessed. It is vital gears maintain some backlash.

It was the first thing I broke when I started work on my Austin7. Operator malfunction, a little too enthusiastic with the 1/4 Whit. as I tried to undo it and not appreciating its true function of retaining rather than clamping
I would have had it repaired but the casting was so oil-filled and porous it was beyond that and I found a replacement fairly easily.

Bob Culver
This is a lesson to all Seven owners, and especially new ones. Particularly for those accustomed to the incredible bolt tensions encountered in moderns, the many alloy parts and threads in Sevens require a very gentle touch.

Mmm. The PO appears to have been accustomed to overtightening things or completely forgetting to tighten in other locations

I only found the crack by chance when wiping an oily rag over to remove a film of dry dirt.

I personally find that unless a torque figure is sepcified that once there is surface tension that a final pull on a spanner to leave a faint mark in my fingers tells me that it is tight enough.

Still trying to locate a local welder at the moment.

cheers

Pricey

If you get stuck, I can TIG weld it for you. No charge for just one but the postage each way would probably be more than the cost of getting it done more locally to you? I also strengthen the lugs at the bottom of the casting to stop them from breaking off.
If anyone has a pile of cracked castings, it might be cost effective to send me a bunch to do all at once?