Welcome to the Austin Seven Friends web site and forum

As announced earlier, this forum with it's respective web address will go offline within the next days!
Please follow the link to our new forum

http://www.austinsevenfriends.co.uk/forum

and make sure, you readjust your link button to the new address!

Welcome Austin seven Friends
This Forum is Locked
Author
Comment
View Entire Thread
Re: PWA7C Midshires group

Thanks Joe!
Do you reckon that we need to change anything? Such as date, place, etc. Are we meeting at the right pub - should we look for a better one?
Could we get some feedback & suggestions from the folks who used to come?
Perhaps we could get some contact details from the Club of people in the area to see what they would be interested in. It might be an idea to look at where people in our area live to see if it would help to move closer to them.
What about inviting the local VSCC members to come along as well (we used to do this)?

Someone suggested that you should send an e-mail round to everyone when you are planning to go in the hope that this will encourage others to come along as well. For that we need to keep the e-mail list up-to-date as much as possible.

Hope this helps,
David

Hi joe , David.

I'd be interested in mucking in and playing my part.

But for me it's the PWA7C midshires group. And should be open to austin owners only.

Sorry but for me it all went the way of the pair, when it was opened to other make. And all the snobbery of rileys coming with it.

I don't want to alienate the 6? That still turn out at the Wight horse.

But a suggestion on this matter was made to me last week, about can we get back to useing the school as a meeting place.

This could work well. Even if it's just a summer meeting place.

All austin owners and austin cars only, meeting at the school. Then on to the pub to meet up with non austin owners.
A meeting place like the school, although there are no tools left. can be used to show the newer austin owners how to use and repair there cars.

Sorry guys but I'm getting some strange new owners, right down to owners calling all saloons ever made rubies. Or even the gent who argued a Ruby is not an austin 7. everyone out there the austin 7, and BIG 7, are two completely different cars.

Welcome to keep in touch over this. tonybetts67@icloud.com

See you Sunday, bring your wellies, Tony.

I don't want to say this but think it's time to put this group to bed and tbh think it's already been put to bed since the loss of Dave Wilcox and other things going on with other members in the group times have moved on, me my dad and his mate will continue to meet down the pub on a Thursday for a drink and will organise some road runs if possible, would be good to do a trip to Greg's place stonehurst but if we don't get any interest then no good just a couple of us going, it's a shame really but cannot see much of a future for the midshires group I'll just keep my memories and be greatful I was a part of such an active group when I was growing up and continue to enjoy my austin Ulster when I can unless anyone else has any thaughts on the matter? Regards joe

I am a recent A7 owner & the first I knew about the Midshires Group was when I had the letter saying it was dying on it's feet! The PWA&C magazine didn't feature the group, indeed there is not a complete list of "Groups" (that I have noticed) in the Magazine. I think it is mentioned somewhere on the website. Where does/did it meet & when? Chris Garner's letter did not say.
I live near Stratford upon Avon & I believe the nearest A7 oriented meeting is one of the 750MC near Solihull. As ever it is finding volunteers to get involved that is the problem. I am committed to other activities (MG, Porsche, Church, Politics, Shooting ......!) so would not be able to become an active organising member, but more a social/technical one.
David

Joseph,

I don't know your group aims but here are my thoughts on what I would do in your situation.

Organise something that you enjoy doing, that way if nobody else turns up it won't matter, you will still have a good time.

Don't be afraid to think out of the box - replicating something that isn't working just now is unlikely to work in the future.

When I set up regular meets for my local Club for the first time we met small in a pub and tried to do 'car stuff' - it resulted in a small group of men sitting around glasses of lemonade in a dark room. I tried quizzes and even an auction (that was well attended the first year), tried drives and even technical stuff. It still resulted in a small group of men sitting around a table drinking lemon... you get the picture!

What eventually worked and resulted in a big group of mixed group of ages and gender was meal at a country pub. Not everyone drove their Austins there but it was popular and something the whole family could join in with. We often had in excess of 30 people attending, it became something people really looked forward to. It turned from old-car chat to a group of really good friends meeting up and enjoying each others company.

About a week before I would send out an e-mail to whole club telling them that my family and I were going to the pub and would be eating there, anyone who would like to join us would be welcome. This worked very well to remind people who may have other things on their mind.

So, next month find a place to eat. I don't know if you have a partner but if you do, ask them (or a friend) to come along (in the Ulster?). Email everyone you know in the group to tell them that is what you are doing and that you hope see them there for a chat. Give it a whirl, be patient (it takes a few months for people to find out that it is a good thing to come to) and see what happens. If it doesn't work you've had a couple of nice dinners out at the pub!

Good luck and let us know how you get on.

Thanks for that yes will try and organise something and like you say see if we get any interest with cars and people etc but they must be Austin's no good having a pwa7c midshires group where no one is driving an austin! What with moving house and a baby on the way myself in August it's been hard going atm but I'll get together and organise something and like you said if it fails then we have tried to do something, I just think the times are moving on and looking at autokarna yesterday I think we was down on lots of 7s I remember that rally when we used to fill the bank with 7s seems less and less every year now, I think we need to gain interest with the younger generation but don't know how to go about that one, I'll do my best for the group and see how it goes thanks regards Joe

hi R,

thanks for the input, i know how well the scottish club done in your hands amongst others.

if i see a downer for midshires, its the same thing all area clubs are having.

its not so much the lack of younger members, which i always think of as 20 to 30s. this age group rarely have the spare money for a hobby car.

its more that people coming into 7s are usually 40+ and have a different attitude to clubs and the cars they are buying to the old days.

ive always put local car owners that come to me for parts either onto the nearest club, or the meeting point at the wight horse.

for the suggestion of there local club, 90% of people give the reply "im not a club type of person" only my opinion, but i think most people find clubs to be very old fashioned and out of date.

many have tried the wight horse, but very quickly give up. to the feeling of a clicky meeting of people talking about rileys.

i dont know how it would be done, but if you had the phone numbers for all local owners, club or not. and invited them to join up and use there cars. there would be a good responce.

and everyone would have the same car in common.

tony

We had a similar situation here in Pembrokeshire when the chairman and mainstay of the local astronomy group passed away. He owned a caravan site with a club house and an observatory, after his death the meetings in the clubhouse turned into a chat and drinking session until people lost interest and the group folded, leaving only the groups virtually unused website and forum.
Being new to astronomy at the time and looking for a local club I and a couple of others left messages on the forum, we decided to meet up and form a new group, we hired a local village hall and had six people turn up, from this we started the Preseli Astronomy Group, we started by discussing what we wanted from the group and used the old forum to inform interested parties of the new group our next meeting we had about 12 people mainly from the old group and we then sorted ourselves out formed a committee and chipped in a few quid each to buy a projector and screen and got the ball rolling with our own forum and a Facebook page, we now have over a 100 followers on Facebook over 50 registered members in the group and regularly get 30 people turn up at our monthly meetings.
In our case we chose not to use a pub for the meetings to avoid people forming their own little social groups in the corners, our meetings consist of basically a cup of tea/coffee and a social chit/chat followed by a talk on what can be seen in this months sky followed by a tea break chit/chat and then another lecture and if conditions allow a short observation session in the car park.
We have been going now for over 5 years and in that time we have managed to secure a £2500 lottery grant to buy telescopes and equipment and have been bought a storage container and extra telescopes to hire out to members all this from the donations we receive from our members. This year we will be introducing a membership fee of £15 a year to even things out as some members donate more than others and we are getting in a lot more money than we actually need to run the group.
I realize that astronomy has many more aspects than an Austin Seven but if I as thinking of starting or reorganizing a group I would seriously consider doing what we have done, Start with short chat about local/ national club news and events,even things said on this forum, with a lap top, projector and screen give monthly maintenance lectures, simply copying a Pitmans or Woodrow manual would give quite a few lectures and once done these could be stored and rerun in the future,just show the pictures and read the words as simple as that, ask members to talk about their own cars history, problems or events they attended,also have a few back ups for when things go wrong like U tube videos Pathe news articles and Austin publicity films etc,will keep the masses amused for hours.
This has worked well for us, we currently have only five people running the group and two/three who prepare and give most of the lectures.

David

The Midlands Austin 7 Club meet at the Old Silhillians rugby club in Knowle, Solihull just off the A41 junction of the M42 - see http://www.ma7c.co.uk/.

Peter

Thanks!
D

I would like to thank all those who have taken the time to offer suggestions and encouragement through this Forum, personal emails and 'phone calls.

We are definitely going ahead with various ideas and strategies to keep Midshires going.

Thanks again.

Chris Garner
Chairman. PWA7C Limited

Pleased to report of a good meet last night Thurs 15th at the white horse Broughton Ashley was good to see Dave Phil in their cars and also my dad's mate bob In his 7 I really need to get the Ulster rep out now! Was good to feel like a proper group again hope things are going forward now and hope that we get to see a few new faces and Austin's regards Joe

Thanks Joe and all those who took the time to attend.
I am sure we can keep the momentum going and build the Group back up.

Chris. PWA7C Limited

Village Midsummer Fair - Monks Kirby - Sunday 25th June - 11am-5pm

This is a village midsummer fair for charity which takes place at an old country estate in Monks Kirby (near Rugby, CV23 0RX) which is home to the Earl and Countess of Denbigh. They have lots of great things going on this year: live music, a licensed bar with local real ales, English civil war re-enactment, farmers' market, live folk music on their unique 1954 commer stage and the ever famous chicken racing to name just a few. The grounds are a treat to walk around including the lakes where the model boaters will be.

They are always looking for car clubs to display their cars and of course this is all free. They run a turn up and display style system to save time on paperwork for their team and also the car clubs.

Similarly Bearley Village Hall Fete on 22July always welcomes interesting vehicles. Come along 12.00 to 4.00.
Contact robertjbrowett@gmail.com (he has a rear wheel braked (1923?) Triumph tourer.
Bearley is just off the A3400 on the Henley in Arden to Stratford road
David