Welcome to the Austin Seven Friends web site and forum

As announced earlier, this forum with it's respective web address will go offline within the next days!
Please follow the link to our new forum

http://www.austinsevenfriends.co.uk/forum

and make sure, you readjust your link button to the new address!

Welcome Austin seven Friends
This Forum is Locked
Author
Comment
Ultrasonic cleaners - effective on crank cases?

I am looking to purchase an ultrasonic cleaner and have found one big enough to fit a crankcase.

Does anyone know how effective these items are are getting rid of:

- grease
- carbon

please?

Re: Ultrasonic cleaners - effective on crank cases?

Ultrasonic cleaners are usually very good at deep cleaning.. Much will depend on the solution you choose and I'd suggest you tell the supplier what your intentions are and they should be able to advise accordingly.

If you find one that is successful, I would buy one , sure others would too.

I believe Simon Jansen has reasonable amount of experience with ultrasonic cleaners and could probably provide some insight. It may be worth an email if he does not see this thread.

Ruairidh Dunford
I am looking to purchase an ultrasonic cleaner and have found one big enough to fit a crankcase.

- grease
- carbon

please?

Here we go again!!! Stop it Ruairidh....I foresee more going from my coffers in the near future
Miniductor purchased recently did another good job on broken bolts on my Reliant Scimitar water pump casting.
Looking forward to possible meeting Mid July...I would meet you somewhere to act as guide to where to visit if you can't come to my place....promise to keep Scim in first when leading

Ruairidh Dunford

- grease
- carbon

please?

Hi Ruairidh, I don't know whether the ultrasonic cleaner will do what you require but, I have never seen one used by professional diesel engine re-builders; they all seem to use a hot wash machine which is like a very industrial dishwasher and they leave the parts in what amounts to a boiling water (plus cleaning aids) wash for about 14 hours.
I took particular note because the possibility of slipping the foreman a few quid to include an A7 crankcase had not escaped me!!

Ian Mc.

There is one Seven owner who uses a Baby Burko to clean his crankcases, I understand they come out like new when used with biological washing powder. However I should think a Baby Burko is like hens teeth.

I think we have a friend in common Dave!

photo FC7054F9-B8FB-4E8E-8EFF-7B1A64F9D1EC_zpssf4bibwh.jpg

Works very well but I wonder about all the oilways and would use the ultrasonic cleaner after the hot water jet hose, deisel bath and then the Burko. I hate cleaning crankcases, I really do!

Ian McGowan
they all seem to use a hot wash machine which is like a very industrial dishwasher and they leave the parts in what amounts to a boiling water (plus cleaning aids) wash for about 14 hours.

I looked at these about 2 years ago Ian, I got my father to take the grottiest case we had in stock and ask them to clean it. It didn't do a good enough job to warrant the cost (mucho ££). That may have just been that particular machine however.

I was speaking to some local (modern) engine builders today and they said they felt the same, they use ultrasonic as the final part of a total clean.

Thanks for all the very helpful advice here and off-line, i will let you know the outcome of this project.

Have you tried using the family dishwasher?

Works on many other parts, but I've never tried something as big as a crankcase.

PS. Don't let the missus find you using it for this sort of stuff. Why do I say that.........................?

PPS. A dishwasher tablet dropped in the cooling system and run for a few miles to remove oil residues after head gasket failure works a treat.

Thanks Shuttle - I have destroyed 6 (freely donated) dishwashers over the years - they work for about two engines and then bung up.

I used a dishwasher tablet in the cooling system of my modern camper van last year, when the oil cooler leaked into the water coolant, like you say - works a treat!

To me, the jury's still out on ultrasonic cleaners. When rebuilding the Riley engine, I had the crank ultrasonically cleaned as they are notorious for bunging up the internal oil ways with gunge. It had to go back 3 times and eventually had the bungs taken out and dug around with a thin probe to get it adequately cleaned.

That is one experience from one place, so may not be statistically relevant...

Needs plenty of research, I would suggest, to ensure exactly the right kit is purchased.

Re: Ultrasonic cleaners - effective on crank cas,s?

I think as I've posted before I've used a Leicester company - Lenton Treatments - for both block and crankcase. Their process involves immersion in liquid sodium hydroxide ( not a solution ) at 380 degrees C for a period of time. It worked a treat.
www.lentontreatments.co.uk

I seem to remember a Paul Sample "Ogri" cartoon in the back of Bike magazine in which the hapless sidekick Malcolm thought he would help Ogri clean the crankcases of his Vincent by immersing them in a bath of Caustic Soda (sodium hydroxide). A couple of hours fizzing and popping later they had dissolved
True to cartoon style there was an empty spiky bubble with the word GONE followed by screams of throttling in progress.

One has to assume that lentotreatments know what they are doing while they go about their myth-busting activities!

Duncan,

Yes I can just picture the Ogri cartoon.
However it worked for my c/c and if you visit their website you will see they are Rolls Royce approved contractors who would have been somewhat dismayed to see their Trent engines dissolving in a froth of bubbles!!

Ah for the oilways I use the time honoured method of small tube brushes and copious amounts of paraffin after removing all the plugs with the crankcase in a large tray. When I'm satisfied that I've got all the crude out the oil pump is refitted and driven by an electric drill refitting the plugs after each passage is flushed clear. Depending on the state of the paraffin it may be replaced and the operation repeated. Wellington boots are the order of the day.

Not to forget the old method of using the springy wire that lace curtains used to be hung on......wonder if it is still available? one end in a drill and feed other end into oil ways, switch on and let it thrash around while feeding paraffin or similar down into oil way. Full diving kit is useful!
Sorry modern wooden curtain poles are not a substitute!

Thanks again for the advice here and off-line. I have now ordered what I think will be the best one for the job and will let you know how it works out.

Thanks again everyone.

Cannot wait to hear about that.