Welcome to the Austin Seven Friends web site and forum

As announced earlier, this forum with it's respective web address will go offline within the next days!
Please follow the link to our new forum

http://www.austinsevenfriends.co.uk/forum

and make sure, you readjust your link button to the new address!

Welcome Austin seven Friends
This Forum is Locked
Author
Comment
View Entire Thread
Re: best solutions for dash panel wiring connections?

so to summarise.... please correct me if wrong....in essence, putting a 16A fuse in the line to the ammeter would give safety for all systems, rather than putting something in specifically for the headlights downstream of the switch?

and if there is an original fuse box (i.e. 1934 onwards, there is the single fuse box for horn trafficator and something else) elsewhere, that's not a problem, just another layer of protection?

Last bit of help appreciated on this one the fuses I have bought to protect horn/ 18w headlights/ 6w tail lights all together, are marked F15AL 250VLAC does this fit with the load/blow values suggested above. IanM

Just bringing this to the top again hoping for an answer.

Ian Moorcraft
Last bit of help appreciated on this one the fuses I have bought to protect horn/ 18w headlights/ 6w tail lights all together, are marked F15AL 250VLAC does this fit with the load/blow values suggested above. IanM

Ian , what horn do you have fitted?

Hi Peter standard original Rist.

Ian , I'm not sure what the current draw of the Rist is but the fuse you have should be ok for the light circuit. I would probably wire the horn independently, you could wire it direct from the battery, or spur from the INPUT side of the ammeter. The lucas type "electro-magnet " type of horn do pull a fair bit of current and are usually wired via a fused relay.
 photo horn image001.jpg

Many thanks again for your help Peter, it is much appreciated. IanM

Hi Peter,
whilst you can wire up the horn as you show, for cars with a horn push in the center of the steering wheel, that is not how they are / were wired originally.

The correct wiring is to have a permanent live feed to one side of the horn, (IE not the earth) and the horn push connects to the other terminal on the earth side - that way if the cable in the steering column wears you only get an irritating random sounding of the horn and not a direct shorting to earth of the live feed which would likely burn out the wiring.

Steve V.

Sorry for the error , you're quite right, the push switch should be on the earth side of the horn.