Welcome to the Austin Seven Friends web site and forum

As announced earlier, this forum with it's respective web address will go offline within the next days!
Please follow the link to our new forum

http://www.austinsevenfriends.co.uk/forum

and make sure, you readjust your link button to the new address!

Welcome Austin seven Friends
This Forum is Locked
Author
Comment
View Entire Thread
Re: fitting a reliant engine in a ruby

Hi Stephen, same here 850cc OHV with the engine mounted between the chassis rails with an extra crossmember added for the gearbox mount, I have seen a couple of installations where the sump bottom is above the rail tops, this allows the engine to be mounted further forward and so no need for the prop shaft to be shortened. My engine has the pre engaged starter motor and this was to close for comfort to the steering box because of the extra height of the wedge used to alter the column angle, so the steering box was moved three inches back and the tie rod lengthened, the handbrake also needed to be moved back due to its close proximity to the gearbox. The rest of the chassis is standard 1936 Ruby so as to comply with the current DVLAs 8 point rule but the rear extensions have been removed to the level of the chassis.

The body framework is being constructed from 1" tube, 1" and 2" angle iron and 1" box section, 1/2" ply flooring, this will not be the lightest of bodies but will be strong and rigid. Sitting on 15" wheels the top of the body is approximately 36" high. I have not as yet decided what to use for the covering steel or aluminum.
I decided not to overhaul the chassis until the bodywork is finished, the body can then be stored on a spare rolling chassis whilst he chassis is being reconditioned with all the new bits and pieces I have been buying over time so as to spread the cost.