Welcome to the Austin Seven Friends web site and forum

As announced earlier, this forum with it's respective web address will go offline within the next days!
Please follow the link to our new forum

http://www.austinsevenfriends.co.uk/forum

and make sure, you readjust your link button to the new address!

Welcome Austin seven Friends
This Forum is Locked
1 2
Author
Comment
View Entire Thread
Re: The new electronic DK4 distributor

What's wrong with being called Dave - I've been called a lot worse!

Yes the Reliant distributor is a 25D4 for the Relaint 600cc. Apart from the rotation it's the same as a Mini or MM so all the consumable bits are readily available. Mine takes the quick fit one piece points GCS101, the earlier dismantled points don't fit as there's no pivot post. Good to hear it works well for others. Mine hasn't any vacuum advance - it didn't come with one - I've locked the rotating baseplate and a Glenmorangie cork sealing the body hole.

(the other) Dave

The technical details of the new electronic distributors are beyond my comprehension.
However I have one fitted to my 29 Chummy, which I have owned since 1970,during which time it has covered over twohundredthousand miles.
I can honestlysay that today it has run more smoothly quietly and powerfully than at any other time in my ownership.
If it continues so to doI shall be very happy Septophile.

Ian,
My chummy is getting quieter but that's more related to my ageing
hearing than all the rattling and whirring of the mechanical bits.Your Christian name is much easier to spell than Mr R Dunford's.
Cheers,
Dave.

Second one fitted today. A bit more difficult this time because I had to change the gear to fit a mag/coil conversion. No miles on it yet but I have the same smooth tickover, low speed torque etc.

Ian McGowan
I'm with Hedd on this one.
In any case, I'm by no means an avid originalist but, IMHO, introducing year 2000 technology into a 1920s car when there is no safety improvement factor in the equation kind of destroys the whole rationale of driving a vintage car. What is the next step? Put in a modern engine with alternator, fuel injection, full electronic engine management etc. etc.
Sod it, why not scrap it and buy a Ford Fiesta!!!!

Ian Mc.

Oh dear! I had better stay quiet.

signed not me

1 2