Welcome to the Austin Seven Friends web site and forum

As announced earlier, this forum with it's respective web address will go offline within the next days!
Please follow the link to our new forum

http://www.austinsevenfriends.co.uk/forum

and make sure, you readjust your link button to the new address!

Welcome Austin seven Friends
This Forum is Locked
Author
Comment
Early rear shock absorber brackets

Trying to finish off my 1925 rolling chassis for the all Alloy GE Cup project. Someone previously has replaced the 6" axles with 7" ones so it's not a pure period set of running gear

This early chassis has the little bracing tubes, no chassis extensions, and rear shock absorber brackets, which I think may have had Hartfords, I.e. Before Austin started making and fitting their own. These rear brackets lack the central boss which locates the friction discs. Has anyone else had this problem? I was thinking of welding on suitable sized washers, but perhaps these brackets had replaceable bosses?

If so can someone post a picture and dimensions, before I resort to some guesswork?

Just back from the Thirlestane Extravaganza with 1200 cars including Norman Purves amazing collection of 4 extremely early Sevens, all in immaculate condition.

Regards

Bill G

Re: Early rear shock absorber brackets

Try Steve Hodgeson on 07870 731074

Re: Early rear shock absorber brackets

Bill - the brackets for the shockers are different from early to late 1925. The Hartfords have no boss and a "keyhole" slot, the Austin ones have the boss & not the key-slot. So it depends on the chassis number you have. It's not difficult to "convert" one to the other. Good Luck, Cheers, Bill