Welcome to the Austin Seven Friends web site and forum

As announced earlier, this forum with it's respective web address will go offline within the next days!
Please follow the link to our new forum

http://www.austinsevenfriends.co.uk/forum

and make sure, you readjust your link button to the new address!

Welcome Austin seven Friends
This Forum is Locked
Author
Comment
View Entire Thread
Re: Rist horn, guttural honk or high pitched hoot

Thank you, Dave. I'm a bit of an electrical idiot, so how would that be accomplished?

Erich,

I'm not the best at electrics either, but you are in the right country.

an American company called vintique make 12v to 6v inverters.

I have a box full here as well.

They can be fitted in line to reduce for one item.

Vintique supply to most usa suppliers.

Same as trafficators, put one in line and it will reduce just the trafficators.

Tony.

Erich,
You could try a cheap, small 12v motorcycle horn on 6v. I fitted one on my special, inside a Klaxon which had a burnt out motor. Not very loud but the right croaking frequency.
Dave

Thanks for advice all. I may do some experimenting with the guts of Willie's before I give up completely and go the old Rist route. Tony, I presume the inverters are pretty unobtrusive?

Erich

Can the inverter take the current required? Don't have a Rist myself but my 6v Klaxon works very well on 12 Volts.Scares the living s*** out of errant drivers.

I had a similar problem finding a suitable horn for my A7 RN and eventually bought one of these which looks similar to the Rist but is in plastic, however, with a coat of black gloss paint you'd be hard pushed to tell.
I never found a maker of 6V but as I use a separate 12V battery to operate the flashers, I simply wired it into the same circuit. It works a treat and makes me legal. There are lots of sellers on EBay but I used this one because they had them in black at the time.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/sch/sis.html?_nkw=12V+110dB+CAR+TRUCK+ANTIQUE+STYLE+CLASSIC+TRUMPET%2FKLAXON+HORN+FOR+BMW+Honda+VW&_id=171938786228&&_trksid=p2057872.m2749.l2658

Brian

Erich Volkstorf
Thanks for advice all. I may do some experimenting with the guts of Willie's before I give up completely and go the old Rist route. Tony, I presume the inverters are pretty unobtrusive?

Erich

Erich, I'll see if I can sort a picture.

And as for those plastic horns, the worst invention in the world?

Someone is selling new diaphragms for the Rist horns on the net, not sure if they have the original sound.
Sorry can't post a link, but google "new diaphragm for Rist horns" and you will see it top of the list. Hope this helps Ian M

Unfortunately I can't find that link, Ian. However, I acquired a replacement stainless steel laser-cut diaphragm for my Rist horn in 2011 - not cheap at around £30. It was made by a chap called Richard Staddon who had a website at the time that featured pictures of some of the vehicles he had supplied diaphragms for. I had written down a contact number, possibly incorrectly looking at the dialling code, as 0208 549 9234. I can't find a link for him on the web now, but somebody may know of him.

This is the link that Ian mentioned above, if you click on the 'MG for Sale', the MG car he's selling is described as 'MOT until May 2017' so he's obviously updated that part of his website fairly recently.

http://www.austinseven.club/austin_7_seven_rist_horn_repairs.html

Elsewhere on the net you'll find other links to the same Richard Staddon who is also a Magic Circle Magician trading as Magic Oz. The link below gives his mobile number. He used to occasionally post on ASF Forum when he owned a Seven - I think he sold it to buy the MG.

https://vimeo.com/user58235765

Jeff.

Location: Almost but not quite, the far North East of England