Welcome to the Austin Seven Friends web site and forum

As announced earlier, this forum with it's respective web address will go offline within the next days!
Please follow the link to our new forum

http://www.austinsevenfriends.co.uk/forum

and make sure, you readjust your link button to the new address!

Welcome Austin seven Friends
This Forum is Locked
Author
Comment
View Entire Thread
Re: Genuine Horn fitted to the Ulster

Geoff - good point. Whilst it's a very handy book, there are a heap of errors in it. Cheers, Bill

As owner of Supercharged Ulster VE4492, I apologise for its appearance on p70 in respect of its wrong cooling pipe to the engine's side branch manifold but the car was drastically overheating at the time and adding an extra 4-5 pints via the long rubber hose did help a little. Subsequently I had the radiator re-cored. I had only very short notice of the car's appearance in Rinsley Mill's Book but I don't think its appearance can be faulted in many other ways, especially in respect of its horn and its position. The car is currently on display at Brooklands Museum largely in its original state apart from a replica supercharged engine (built by Vince Leek with non original oil filter) as I'm in the process of rebuilding the original engine. To add weight to the horn's position and type, I've a photo of possibly the actual car again showing the engine and bulkhead on the production line and will try to post it on the Forum if there's enough interest.

I for one would be very interested to see your photo. I would like to know if the Klaxette was also fitted to earlier Sports Sevens.

Naturally as the OP of this post I would like to see that Photo too James.

Thank you.

The position and type but not make of the horn is clearly illustrated in this edited photograph. An interesting photo from any number of points of view not least of which is the fact that the main subject then was the group of actors and now is the incidental subject at its centre, the Austin 7 Ulster, thankfully without its radiator/cowling on revealing all the under bonnet detail. Incidentally there are Ulster bodies lined up on a shelf behind the car.

http://i793.photobucket.com/albums/yy213/doctorbob7/DSC_0046%202_zpsbxhdtbmm.jpg

This Theatre Troupe was obviously appearing in a show in Birmingham at the time (1930) and was touring famous sites around the city presumably for publicity shots. They visited Longbridge and were photographed just by fortunate chance around a Supercharged Ulster on the assembly line (a long shot...possibly mine)!

I was exhibiting VE4492 at the Northium Rally in the late 1980s/early 1990s alongside Jack Dash's famous unrestored GE Cup model and was so taken with the photo that he gave it to me. My only regret is that I didn't ask him who the group of actors were, I can only assume that one of them was the previous owner, an actor who was sitting in the passenger seat of the Gordon England. Apparently, one of the conditions of the sale of the car was that Jack took him to any local rallies.

Many thanks for making that photo available James.

It certainly appears to be a Klaxette horn judging by the distinctive mounting points and electrical unions.

Great photograph James, I remember seeing it on an old 750mc bulletin cover.
Another interesting detail is what appears to be a piece of felt on the scuttle side presumably to stop the side panel from drumming. I can't quite make out the carburettor though, it's not a Cozette but also doesn't look like a Solex.

Can we be sure that the Ulsters were all fitted with Klaxettes? I thought they had the contemporary standard Seven fitting of Rists. It would be interesting to hear from other genuine Ulster owners as to what horns are fitted to theirs. Any helpers please? Cheers, Bill

Would it not be fair to say there will be variations depending on the supply situation at the time, Austin certainly fitted Klaxtets to some of their cars, stands to reason if there was a shortage of the more common Rist a substitution could have been made on a few cars. Production line pictures are the only way to conclusively prove a variant.

James I am having real trouble opening that photo...
Any suggestions?
thanks
Peter Hardy

now deep in winter in NZ

Apologies, I'll get in touch with Ruairidh and see if he can work some magic ! It should have appeared as a photo and not a link, there's something I'm not getting right but I feel it's still quite a lumbering process to load a photo on to the Forum.

Thanks Ian,

If you've the time, can you explain what critical step I missed ? Once I was capable of loading photos and now, like some other things, I'm not !

Because it's such a good 'production line' photo I've thought of posting it under a separate entry such as 'Factory production photographs' to help restorers but doubt that there are many let alone any such close-up revealing photos, what do you and others think ? The main idea would be to help chaps see what cars looked like at their birth but as implied, I can't remember seeing any similar certainly close-up photos. You can imagine how gob-smacked I was when I first saw it. James

Robert, as I've hinted in a previous post, it is an excellent photo but your sharper eyes have spotted more detail ! Under magnification it looks very much like the round aluminium filter that is attached to the Solex carb. on my car's engine. I think you can see that there's a horizontal band of metal (attached to an internal thin cylindrical steel tube) that in turn is attached to the choke cable that when pulled closes open rectangular panels on its sides. However I thought, like the Luvax fluid shock absorbers, this was a 'works' or aftermarket addition but any other viewpoints are welcome. I'm due to be taking the car out for a breather at Brooklands 12/12 show next Saturday only so anyone is welcome to inspect the car with more space around it.

quote "Thanks Ian,

If you've the time, can you explain what critical step I missed ? Once I was capable of loading photos and now, like some other things, I'm not !"

James, all I did was add *img& in front of your link, and */img& at the end of your link.

I have had to post as above to prevent it being seen as a photo post. In actual fact substitute [ for the * and ] for the &

Ian Mc.

Ian Williams
Would it not be fair to say there will be variations depending on the supply situation at the time, Austin certainly fitted Klaxtets to some of their cars, stands to reason if there was a shortage of the more common Rist a substitution could have been made on a few cars. Production line pictures are the only way to conclusively prove a variant.

My '33 has a Klaxette fitted, would this be original if Rist was in short supply? It sure has a great effect on errant road users .