Welcome to the Austin Seven Friends web site and forum

As announced earlier, this forum with it's respective web address will go offline within the next days!
Please follow the link to our new forum

http://www.austinsevenfriends.co.uk/forum

and make sure, you readjust your link button to the new address!

Welcome Austin seven Friends
This Forum is Locked
Author
Comment
View Entire Thread
Re: Styicky Reverse

If it does it with the engine stopped it's unlikely to be the clutch. I am not familiar with A7 gearboxes but could it be something to do with the reverse gear detent on the selectors that is gummed up?

Thanks, I will put that on the "Engine-out-again List"

You may have the incorrect centre plate - the splines come in at least two lengths and if you have one that is too long for your gearbox the clutch won't work properly.

I think that will be ok because all worked previously before the engine came out for a loose flywheel. It was after replacing the engine after this that the problem arose. The engine has been removed again and checked (courtesy of Stuart) for clutch movement and the release bearing and that the centre plate was not pressing on the crankshaft nut. All seemed well and engine replaced but the problem remains. I cannot check it with engine running because I have left it unplumbed ready for the next extraction!

Loosen off all the gearbox top screws half a turn and see if there is any difference.

Take the top right off and look at the horseshoe shaped moving plate that guides the bottom end of the gearstick, check it for being sticky or bent in some way.

Simon

[quote="Slack Alice" Simon]Loosen off all the gearbox top screws half a turn and see if there is any difference.

Take the top right off and look at the horseshoe shaped moving plate that guides the bottom end of the gearstick, check it for being sticky or bent in some way.

Simon[/quote]

I will put that on the "engine-out list" thank you.

It maybe there are two problems here which may or may not be related. The reverse gear sticking and the clutch not working to its full extent.

By the sound of what you are saying it has to be a problem with the gearbox selector rather than clutch, are we talking 3 or 4 speed?

What Nick isn't telling you is that the clutch wasn't working before the last time the engine and box came out.there was the free play, then it was solid. unfortunately I got it disassembled so couldn't check to see what the issue could have been. I checked the clutch and rebuilt it on the flywheel, checking all the clearances etc were ok. When reassembled, with the gearbox fitted I tested the clutch by hand and it worked perfectly.

Now Nick tells me that the clutch feels the same, lightly sprung free play, then solid. I have advised him to move the bearing to within a 1/4" of the fingers with the pedal in the fully returned position and tighten the clamp bolt. Not sure if this has been done yet. The gear lever was not present when I did this work, so I'm unable to say if there is also a gearbox problem, but I suspect not. Reveres gear can be difficult to engage without the engine running as I'm sure you all know.