Welcome to the Austin Seven Friends web site and forum

As announced earlier, this forum with it's respective web address will go offline within the next days!
Please follow the link to our new forum

http://www.austinsevenfriends.co.uk/forum

and make sure, you readjust your link button to the new address!

Welcome Austin seven Friends
This Forum is Locked
Author
Comment
1936 Austin 7 tourer

Have Austin 1936 tourer .need help Id etc
I trying to post pic too

Re: 1936 Austin 7 tourer

Mal
Have Austin 1936 tourer .need help Id etc
I trying to post pic too

Thought I'd try to help Mal. Hope this works as the system for posting looks a bit different since I last used it.

photo MALS 2.jpg
 photo MALS 3.jpg
 photo MALS 4.jpg
 photo MALS 1.jpg

Thnx Peter

Mal an article from the Austin Seven Clubs Association's magazine will explain all
http://www.a7ca.org/downloads/QuoteThisNumber.pdf

Take a look at the chassis register on the same site and contact the registrar if yours is not there.
Looks like a fine start for renovation, had one myself till the kids outgrew it, good luck Russell

I've just been corresponding earlier today with Malcolm on the Facebook Austin Seven page - here's the photo of the plates on his car.

I've already suggested that chassis number 247028 dates to around the last week of May 1936. The engine number (photos on the Facebook page) M236066 would appear to date from slightly earlier, around the end of November beginning of December 1935. The engine will therefore be a 2 bearing crank.

I presume the AS 2411 plate is an Australian car number ?

Having just checked, Malcolm's car is not currently listed on the A7CA Chassis Register - as Squeak says contact the A7CA Registrar to have it added to the register of surviving Sevens.

Jeff.

Location: Almost but not quite, the far North East of England

I am not an expert on the Australian bodies but it looks like a Holden tourer to me, I was waiting for Bill or Tony to advise which hopefully will happen soon.

As of today 12 June 2017, have filled form Seven register as suggested.
Thanks freinds for all you help and interest. Much appreciated😊☺😊

I not sure but i think chassis plate be moved or had 2 . The one pictured with car number is on outside tool box .
Looking on chassis i cleaned up the section under starter motor i can see 2 brass holes. I think could be old rivet ??
I dont know how to post pic to group to show. Ill post to Seven and Jeff could you help me again please. Thnx

I believe Ian is correct - I think that in 1935/36 Holden Motor Bodies built a 'Sports and a 'Roadster'- primarily for Queensland, both with deep cutaway doors and a sloping back.

From the Source Book (sometimes not reliable) the 1935 cars had a front hinged door which was rear hinged (suicide) in 1936.

I am sure Bill had one of these bodies which he and I discussed some time back but I can't find the details and pictures in my poorly filed folders !

Regarding the car number- as far as I know his was provided by the factory, although locally bodied cars don't have this stamped on the tunnel.

Body numbers were allocated by the local builder.

The ID plates may or may not be original and they seem to be incorrectly placed.

Cheers, Tony.

You may be right about the plates Tony, however the design of the plate and the flat solid ally fixing rivets look correct for the year to my eye, so maybe?

Malcolm's photo showing two rivet holes on the chassis rail directly beneath the starter.

Jeff.

Mal - Your car looks very much like a Holden bodied tourer.

I have just sold mine - a 1935 tourer that was repatriated to the UK in 1991.

The Car No begins with AS.

IMG_20170612_124140

There's a load of photos of the car on Flickr: Link

Hope this helps and that you'll enjoy the restoration.

Nick,

Lovely car and a great set of pictures. Very original with four blade fan on a larger steel pulley and the air cleaner.

The ID plates on the car under discussion could be original even though seemingly not in line- a local fitting fault- presumably the Chassis plate was taken off the chassis rail.

The door cutaways on the new car seem to be greater, and a few other detail differences could indicate a manufacturing year difference.

Has either car got a Holden lion ID plate ?

Interesting that the AS car number prefix doesn't seem to get a mention in the various UK publications.
According to the booklet 'Identifying Austin Sevens from their Factory Initials', for UK products after the C prefix in June 1934 the ARQ prefix was used from chassis 249701.
From July 1936 the separate car number was dropped. Possibly export cars were given the AS prefix around this time.

Cheers, Tony.

I've found these two for sale on the net in Australia. The blue car looks very similar to Malcolm's, the red one less so - it appears to have detail differences to the screen pillars and top door hinge and the door cutaways don't seem as great as Malcolm's car. His car also has the four blade fan - see photo below.

Malcolm's engine detail:

Jeff.

Here's an event you should be aiming to take part in with your Seven in 2019 Malcolm !

Jeff.

This car is featured on the gallery page of the 'Austin Motor Vehicle Club of New South Wales' - looks similar in many ways to Malcolm's car. This one appears to have a similar rear bumper - assuming those bumpers are original fitment.

Jeff.

Its great to have some light shed on plates etc since i had no idea what was what. Also great to see another car with AS plate ad car pictures.
So we have a Holden bodied Austin which plate id is correct to say !!
Reading how was sport n roadstar from forum i did read something when i was going mad googling things referring to sport and roadster builds by Holden. I think sport was a w seater and roadstar being 4 seater. So would it be called an Austin roadstar or Austin tourer or Austin roadster Tourer. ???
Much appreciative on everyones feedback makes me feel very welcome and excited aswell.
Looking at car was so amazed to see the little glass window pressed into back roof , i guess as the side window plastic use to be hard see through. This glass is broken but was thinking due to front window being cracked i might be able to cut the rear window glass from front window. Not at that stage as yet. Lol
In my investigations with car, the Red body paintwork, has been brushed on over original paint. The wheel guards are black underneath the red paint. Ive also find a green colour under red paint to in areas. Im wondering if i can remove red paint on body and somehow reveal paint colour underneath it.
The seats also have been re upholstered with a reddish brown material and where this has torn reveals original green upholstry.
The edging on seat matches the door trim edging which door trims are reddish brown.
Im wondering if these have been changed to match the re trimming of seats. Ill take some detailed pics to show everyone.
Its like pealing away layers of time and history.

I will have to investigate more to see if has a lion or not.
Im a bit of a Holden fan myself and i think awesome to have an Austin-Holden. Lol.

Thanks Nick.
Have checked out link to Austin. Great to see.
I was reading through forum n i see youre old post regarding floor pan etc to sean.
It made me laugh as he said he had no floor except part over gearbox area. The part of floor im missing is that part.lol
I know i will have to replace alot of floor when restoring mine. If have any thing regarding floor would it be possible to email to me please.
Kind regards

Bill Sheehan writes:

Hi R - I'd be very grateful if you could put the following up on the Forum under 1936 Austin 7 tourer, please. Cheers, Bill
From Bill Sheehan
Not sure that a lot of the following comments will help Mal much, but here goes. It always amuses me how many owners in Oz claim their Seven to be built by Holden, because not necessarily so. Different dealers in each State had bodies built locally. The fact that Holdens were in more than one State adds to the possible myth. Tony is correct re the Lion's head badge for Holden, but I'm not sure this lasted much into the Thirties. Many Holden-builts did have a small aluminium or zinc plate affixed under the rear seat timber (if it had a rear seat!. I'll have to chide Tony about his memory - Mal's car is nothing like mine was. It was a Sports Roadster (b&w photo) and I got it from the original owner who bought it new to go on his honeymoon in 1937. The w/screen folded down and the scuttle was extended back with one eyebrow well over the dashboard. The hood not only folded back, but scissored inwards to repose inside the body - very tidy. The Blue car is a later Tourer version with modified wings and twin eyebrows over the dashboard. The Red beauty, a later version again, is probably the sleekest version made. Note the more-modified wings (this one has MG TC-type park-lights merged into the wing tops) and the twin eyebrows as well as the different bonnet-side vents. Very desirable. The owner insists the body was built in England, but I strongly doubt this. When the Ruby-type cars were allotted Car numbers in Longbridge they chose ARQ and ARR, but called the Australian-built cars AS. (They also allotted a prefix for the chassis exported, but I'm not at home to look it up). All three of the above had AS Car plates. The scuttles came to Oz on floorpans, with a box of wings, lights and other bits. Two types arrived here, some with the Longbridge-type windscreen pillars set into the holes in the tops of the scuttles, others plain so the pillars (I think locally made) could be bolted to the scuttle-sides a la earlier Sevens. This means the windscreens were probably locally-made as well. I also believe some came out without the the scuttle vents. Mal - re the Katherine man - I'm about to post him exact measurements of every part of the floor and how to make them to help him, so anything I can do to help you, just ask. Cheers, Bill

photo 2E0E4936-A017-4285-AF86-4E77721AC9DB_zpsu6ox4ltc.jpg

photo 7A8AF1D5-69BF-41B1-95BD-49CD7500D44F_zpsjgmozuvi.jpg

Mal
... I think sport was a 2 seater and roadstar being 4 seater. So would it be called an Austin roadster or Austin tourer or Austin roadster Tourer. ???

This is from an Australian Big Seven brochure, but it would suggest that your car is a Tourer rather than a Roadster (note the greater slope of the tail on the Roadster, which presumably reduces the seating to a 2+2):

The brochure makes no mention of the coachbuilder.

Ruairidh Dunford,& Bill Sheehan
Thanks for posting.
Im wondering what i can find out through motor registry . It would Be interesting to trace car if its possible through registry.
I extremely would love some floor plans etc , i know have to replace some flooring or maybe all due to metal mites🤣rust. Be appreciated.
I would like to find someone to discuss and look at car that know restoring etc snd help investigate , paint colours, interior trim etc.
Do i try maintain as much of origunal parts etc as original best or what changes not effect things etc.

Its interesting all this investigating required to do justice for car.
Such a great hobbie, passion, enjoyable, thankful and rewarding.

Mal,

For local assistance it would help if we knew where in Australia ?

If in Victoria check out the Club at -

http://www.austin7club.org/

Cheers, Tony.

Mal - I'd say it would be impossible to find that any authority (no matter which State) would record who made the body, as when sold from the Dealer it was just an Austin Seven, mostly to Longbridge specs, regardless of additional body maker. Can send you restoration measurements, DIY & HTDI (how to do it) etc, if you email me your postal address. Re colours, I haven't looked yet, but would be surprised if you couldn't find them on the Austin Seven Clubs' Association website. There you will also find Handbooks, Parts Lists etc you can download to further your knowledge, although you won't find much if anything on Oz models.. Good Luck, Cheers, Bill

Mal - One faint possibility to add - have a search on your door pillars and the bottom timber rail of the doors. If you find a stamped number, the body will have been built by Green in Sydney. If so, let me know and I'll give you all their details. Cheers, Bill

Thnx Bill and Tony.
I live penrith nsw.
Tony, i tried the club nsw but will not take me to site. I have tried heaps times. Could be my safety setting with phone not sure. I just think it not right site address.

Bill,
With investigating registration , was maybe seeing find some history etc to previous owners, car colour , verify numbers etc on car.

I have put on my check list to check rear seat for the lion and now added timbers .
I'll email you Bill to pass on my email.
Thnx again.
Ive been trying chase some parts i know visually i need. Like ignition,fuel guage amp meter, drivers door handle,2 latches for vents on hood cover. Austing winged badge for radiator cowl as mine broken.
Whilst chasing parts i think might start first on engine rebuild .

Tony,
I have been snoopy on the vic clubs site already. Lol

Matt, try www.austin7clubnsw.org.au works for me.
The Holden 'lion' badge had several iterations in the early years and I think the badge for you is a 35mm oval slightly raised in the centre and ringed with a garland of some sort of leaves. A seated lion with raised paw resting on a stone is positioned centrally. From memory the lion faces left however I have seen an example facing right (very rare), and some say these are to be placed each side, externally lowdown on the scuttle. Left and right examples seem to support this view. Holdens made bodies for quite a few car makes and the right face badge rarity may mean it was destined for a bigger, upmarket make.
I have chosen the inside passenger A pillar scuttle trim for mounting on my Austin 7.
I have pictures on another computer of the different types and will look tomorrow. cheers Russell.

Very interesting

My memory! Before I wrote the above diatribe, I thought I may have written it here before, but couldn't find it. I now find I wrote the details as recently as Dec. 2015, so my apologies for the repetition. (Luckily I wrote much the same thing each time!). The only trivial thing I can now add for the pundits is the designation for Ruby-type chassis-only sent to Oz was SKD. Cheers, Bill