Welcome to the Austin Seven Friends web site and forum

As announced earlier, this forum with it's respective web address will go offline within the next days!
Please follow the link to our new forum

http://www.austinsevenfriends.co.uk/forum

and make sure, you readjust your link button to the new address!

Welcome Austin seven Friends
This Forum is Locked
Author
Comment
Brake Shoe Pivot Pins

Can I ask the assembled experts for some advice.

I am still working on the front axle for my 1929 RK saloon. I'm at the putting it back together again stage.

The Brake shoe pivots at the top of the stub axle are the rivetted type (I think) There's a blob of metal at the back of the pivot pins that looks as though the pin was peened over with a hammer.

The blob gets in the way of getting the new king pins in and also cleaning out the threads so I can get new brass blanking plates in.

Am I right are they the rivetted type?

Can I get them off without wrecking them?

If I get them off how do I get them back on again?

Re: Brake Shoe Pivot Pins

Front pivots should be of the screwed in type, with a much larger thread diameter than the shank of the rear rivet-over pivots, so they cannot easily be interchanged. They are usually just lightly punched to keep them in place, but it looks like yours have been possibly brazed or welded on the back to secure them, perhaps because they were loose on the thread or otherwise troublesome.
You should be able to grind or file the offending surplus metal off the back until you are able to free them (e.g. by unscrewing with a pair of mole grips) and then you might have a better idea of what the problem might be.

Re: Brake Shoe Pivot Pins

That's great, much obliged for the advice